Freenas

fus10n

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive gotten time to try out Freenas again with a better setup. I understand why I stopped playing around with it.

Ive followed this guide on how to setup storage and I still can;t connect via windows.
How to set up network file sharing on FreeNAS • Pureinfotech

Can anyone point me to what i'm doing wrong as I've followed that guide perfectly.

Last edited:
when you created users did you make them Windows users

also check permissions on your shares and data set

Have you enabled cifs/samba service??

Have you created mount points??

Yep, followed those instruction on that link

What exactly is the issue. Is the share showing on windows. Are you getting any errors??

I see it in windows, it just won't allow me to access it.

sounds like you have permission issues. I would advise restarting both and then confirming you have the correct user permissions.

e.g create user with same name and password that is used on the windows machine on freenas make sure to give them permissions on the folder on freenas and try to mount it again on windows.

BTW how are you running freenas?

@jfish that link is for Freenas 9 he is using freenas 11. if you want to follow the guide he will need to log into the legacy UI which is shown at the login page.

also if i remember correctly windows will use the current users credentials to access the share unless you specify to enter another set of credentials. Best to set up the user in freenas with the same crednetials it makes life easier.

Capture.JPG

I can see the the folder in network, but when i click on it I get this! Its a permission thing as my phone an tablet do similar!

It was a permissions thing. For some reason the pool permissions were not being handed down to the datasets even when i requested they be set recursively!

Now that I've sorted this. I can't get plex to see the smb shares I just created. Anytime i create a mount point and run plex and try to add the specific folder it greyed out!
Capture2.JPG

Not sure how you are running plex but in most cases Plex runs under another user that may not have permissions to access the smb drives.

Why are you not running plex as a jail in freenas?

Not sure how you are running plex but in most cases Plex runs under another user that may not have permissions to access the smb drives.

Why are you not running plex as a jail in freenas?

it is running as a jail. Jail creation is automatic on the new freenas when you install a plugin

Its only greyed out like in the above picture when ad a mount point to the jail via the plex jail 'add mount point'

Edit: Think i might have sorted it, but won't be able to try it tomorrow.

Last edited:
You have to give Plex permission to access the mount.

Create a group that has RW permissions for the mount and add the Plex user to the group.

So, this is probably a permissions thing. I knew i had done most of it right. In the jail shell i did this command.

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

Plex then sees the items in the movies and tv folder and plays them, however i then lose access on another pc to the smb share....

Yes that's cuz you are changing the owner of the media folder and all sub folders. So the pc user can no longer access them.

What you need to do is create a group e.g "media-group".
Then add the Plex user to the group and any other users.

Next give the group permissions on the media folder.

Once you have done that all should work as expected.

There is a tonne of guides on the freenas forum to do this check them out and if you get stuck let me know.

Yes that's cuz you are changing the owner of the media folder and all sub folders. So the pc user can no longer access them.

There is a tonne of guides on the freenas forum to do this check them out and if you get stuck let me know.

This is where its going wrong. The auto install of plex and jail does not create a plex user. I think i've been reading that there is an issue with the latest freenas in regards to plex atm.

I did what you said but when i try to change the ownership of Plex using
Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.
it says the group is illegal!

So i found this:
[How-To] Giving Plugins Write Permissions to Your Data and did solution 3 and it accepted the chown command but still plex does not see mounted folders!

Last edited:
that command is setting permissions for user media1 and group media1 thats why it is not working.

please add pictures of your mount for the plex jail.

Back