NAS Freenas

fus10n

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm creating this as I don't really want to Hijack another thread and was hoping this could be a 'freenas' thread?

Anyway, my questions are

1. How to i update Plex on freenas

2. How do i assign library locations? Freenas seems to go on about 'jails' and seems quite weird initially.

Jail's are basiclly a virtual machine you could say but only have certain permissions. they are similar to docker containers but are more secure.

Best way to install Plex on freenas is to create a new jail and manually install plex. Google install Plex media server freeBSD and you will get the commands to do it.

Another way is install the plex from the plugins section, this will create a jail and install Plex for you. Many recommend to create a blank jail and then install plex as it is easier to upgrade later.

As for the data you will have to create data sets, then copy the files to the data set and then mount the data sets on the Plex jail.

Sorry just noticed you said update Plex and not install. Shutdown the Plex server and follow the instructions on this site.

Manually update your Plex Media Server on Freenas - Ceos3c

Last edited:
here is a good guide to get you started with freenas and plex.

I'm loving Freenas, I only have it running via AMD A6-6400K APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics and 8gb ddr3 ram + a 8gb usb 3 sticck for boot and some small drives I've had kicking about for a while and so far loving it.

Yes, there is a learning curve, but the amount that can be done along with the plugins available - I'm seriously considering ditching the Western Digital Nas with the 2tb drives and putting them into the Freenas system. Will have to do some transcoding tests,reliability tests and see how easy it is to make my own cloud for mobiles to connect with as it was pretty easy to set that up with the WD Na..... but I'm seriously considering the switch to freenas!

I'm gonna try setting up 'Owncloud' Does anyone have any experience with this app? Its available on freenas as a plugin

I haven't but have been meaning too for a long time I just haven't had the time.

Let me know how you get on with it as it on my to do list.

Last edited:
I haven't but have been meaning too for a long time I just haven't had the time.

Let me know how you get on with it as it on my to do list.

I did try it, the mobile app is not free but does not break the bank (£0.63p) which i bought. Works but keeps on telling me my server does not have internet access even though i could download the plugin initially.

This brings me on to something i have thought about - Have i setup the network-side correctly. I can see that freenas uses a minimum of 2 i.p at boot. One is for the gui which i would prefer to be static. Then the plugins can also have an assigned i.p address too.

So, i think i will start from scratch again and take things a bit slower and set it up again after a proper read.

No it has a second IP as the jail's which you have own cloud installed on creates it's own network.

As I said previously a jail is very similar to a VM. It is supposed to have a separate IP as it has no access to the freenas OS except the data sets that you allow it access to.

No need to start from scratch. One thing I meant to say to you earlier is use should use more than 1 boot drive you can mirror them. When I first installed freenas the usb drive went after a few weeks and I lost my setup. So I higly recommend at least 2 boot drives that are mirrored.

No it has a second IP as the jail's which you have own cloud installed on creates it's own network.

As I said previously a jail is very similar to a VM. It is supposed to have a separate IP as it has no access to the freenas OS except the data sets that you allow it access to.

No need to start from scratch. One thing I meant to say to you earlier is use should use more than 1 boot drive you can mirror them. When I first installed freenas the usb drive went after a few weeks and I lost my setup. So I higly recommend at least 2 boot drives that are mirrored.

Sorry, i should add that this is just experimental at this time. Once i've understood things and got things working I will probably make this a permanent thing and set things up from scratch anyway...

I have noted the mirrored boot disk for the permanent setup later!

I did try it, the mobile app is not free but does not break the bank (£0.63p) which i bought. Works but keeps on telling me my server does not have internet access even though i could download the plugin initially.

This brings me on to something i have thought about - Have i setup the network-side correctly. I can see that freenas uses a minimum of 2 i.p at boot. One is for the gui which i would prefer to be static. Then the plugins can also have an assigned i.p address too.

So, i think i will start from scratch again and take things a bit slower and set it up again after a proper read.

Do you maybe need to open a port on your firewall/router for it to be accessed remotely? can you access it on your home network?

Ok new question, still about Freenas.

Can I get Docker installed?

Yes but you have to use rancher OS to manage the docker containers.

What you using docker for do u mind me asking

For a CMS. Will it be a x64 version of docker?

I was hoping that ,when i get my health back and back at work, I could build my Freenas system for more than just Plex and file serving. Was hoping to run a CMS on it. Killing two birds with one stone so to speak....

I was hoping that ,when i get my health back and back at work, I could build my Freenas system for more than just Plex and file serving. Was hoping to run a CMS on it. Killing two birds with one stone so to speak....

Why not run on a Linux VM like Ubuntu server on the freenas hypervisor bhyve

Why not run on a Linux VM like Ubuntu server on the freenas hypervisor bhyve

Think that might be easier as i managed to get Rancher OS installed but I had no clue how to get the CMS installed....

If you manage to get an actual container running let me know as I spent a few hours on it but gave up.

You could also try running the CMS in a jail it probably be the easiest method.

Back