Free Vast has become a reality

Hejira

DW Member ++
Reaction score
I've not had a play with this but sounds interesting, taken from console-exploits.

I'm just going to do a copy and paste from the other news report I've done on this because I'm getting writer's cramp from all the typing I've done today.

Remember the 'FreeVast' project we were talking about a while back? Sure you do.
jimmikaelkael, (A user from psx-scene) has been working on this for quite some time now and has got a beta version out. There are some known bugs out but I'll get to that in a bit.

What this hack entails is basicly the ability to use a normal memory card to boot homebrew without the need for a mod chip, disc, or memor32. Also the project is based heavily off of Datels Max Memory Manager.

To install the hack to your memory card, you need a way to boot some homebrew such as a buddy's modded system, swap magic, something of that nature. Once you have the hack on your card, there is no need to use any of that again.

On to the bugs. If you want to load uLaunchELF's settings, you need to turn disc control off. If you don't, uLE will freeze.

Also you won't have use of your DVD drive while using this hack. I've tried using SMS with it's specific disc settings with no luck on that. but network and hdd usage is unaffected.

One other thing. I'll create a tutorial on this soon. Please DO NOT send me PM's on how to set this up.thank you.

There has been a couple of updates since the above post so prob needs a bit further investigation of what it can do!

Think these are the files needed
View attachment 41013
View attachment 41012

deedie

Inactive User
Reaction score
this is very interesting, i was reading up on this the other day. another user called dasguy posted a few links in another thread. it will be great if they manage to get backups booting with this, im sure it will be possible as this develops.

i will keep checking up on this over the next few weeks

dasguy

Inactive User
Reaction score
Yeah I've been checking up for backup boot capability, nothing as yet, seems to be a bit of the "we only want homebrew not piracy" spirit surrounding the project so I don't know if backups are a big priority. Can confirm homebrew works though, tested it myself.

Hejira

DW Member ++
Reaction score
Full credit to all involved in this project, Disk's need patching but using this and ESR backups without swapping is now a reality.

View attachment 42435

TEST