Mobile Phones "Free/unlimited" GPRS - does it exist anymore?

demonx

Inactive User
Reaction score
I've been looking around the interwebs to see if I can find a SIM card for testing that will provide me with GPRS connectivity without having to pay per mb and all that nonsense.

yes, yes i know theres 02 iphone sim's that have umlimited interwebs, but i'm not forking out £40+ for one of those. lol, and its pointless since I don't need anymore than about 40kbps of bandwidth.

I remember back in the day with APN proxys and all that, where you could get free service... not sure if that's still around. The only thing thats came close to what i'm looking for is the ubisurfer SIM's with a years worth of GPRS, however they are not sold by themselfs.... SIGH. :(

Thanks!

I thought O2 and T Mobile did some sort of deal that gave you the choice of free Internet or texts if you topped up £15 per month.
dont quote me on this as i'm on O2 contract not PAYG, just remember seing somrthing on the telly about it?

o2 do a free pay an go sim .. unlimited textx and internet (3g&gprs) for £15 a month

is advertised on there site

3 have also just released the same.. saw the add on the side of a bus earlier

Yeah, I should have mentioned it can't really be a contract either (unless its annual, not monthly).. I don't really want to have to worry about contracts and topping up etc, I just want something I can plug in and let it do its thing :p

Sadly most, if not all the packages are suited to 3G usage.. hence I would be paying for a service I would'nt be using.

Vodaphones pre-paid 1GB would be ideal, but the usage is too small to last a decent amount of time (like a year, heh) I mean you would think at such low data rates you would'nt need that amount of data, but 1GB would only last about a week if you were piping 20-40kbps , 24 hours per day. lol.. and then about 2 weeks if you where only using half that.

I'll prob have a look into what the virtual operators are doing for data.. might get lucky. lol.

Last edited:
tbh your not gonna get much better then a £15 top up a month

unless you sign up to a contract

best bet is tell them what you need and how much they gonna charge you if you pay the full year up front

okay, vodaphones flat rate (FUP I assume, sigh.. lol) buisness service for about £18 pm... seems thats about as good as its going to get, contact wise anyways.
Nothing about annual rates as usual, guess ill find out the full story about that tomorrow.

anyway, at least I've got a rough idea of what to expect to pay for that. thanks again.

Also if anyone has got any device by Ubisurfer that would also be of interest, I assume its just a standard vodaphone sim card thats using a special APN or something.

Would be most useful if you could spoof it, if I knew what APN Ubisurfers connected to.. hm..
Since you only need to pay £30 a year for GPRS service, Thats far better than £18pm :p

3pay (on 3) gives you 150mb free each time you top up (valid for 90 days) minimum topup £5.

Can then add more, 50p for 24 hrs, £2.50 for 7 days and £5 for unlimited (2gb fair use).

Obviously needs a 3g handset though.

Last edited:
I think I know someone who has a PAYG 3g sim that doesn't need to be topped up and they get free unlimited usage of msn. I'll find out the details, because if they can get free msn, then it may have free unltd GPRS.

Again, the usage limits are just not reasonable at all.. even for GPRS.
I'm going to find a vodaphone card to see if I can spoof it as a datawind.

That seems the best option.

Thanks anyways.

Yeah, I should have mentioned it can't really be a contract either (unless its annual, not monthly)..

I'm guessing you got that bit mixed up :)

O2 have a monthly contract, it's called Simplicity.

It's a rolling contract, you can cancel at any time.

I'm on the £20 deal.

That gives you:
700 minutes Talktime
1400 texts
&
Unlimited Web Usage

I'll be chucking it after this month, as I've got a works mobile to play with.

iphone pay as you go sim yeah, once its been activated with a tenner ( i think) its unlimited internet and wifi hotrspots

(until 02 notice the sim isnt being used in an iphone)

iphone pay as you go sim yeah, once its been activated with a tenner ( i think) its unlimited internet and wifi hotrspots

(until 02 notice the sim isnt being used in an iphone)

The Iphone sim is overpriced for what it is and it's not reliable (since they can cut you off for not using it in an iphone)

I think I know someone who has a PAYG 3g sim that doesn't need to be topped up and they get free unlimited usage of msn. I'll find out the details, because if they can get free msn, then it may have free unltd GPRS.

I think thats for three and they only do skype for free.. not msn? :(

Last edited:
I've got an Orange PAYG on Dolphin in my iPhone. I get free GPRS data as long as I top up by £10 per month.

It started as just free Facebook, Myspace and Bebo but now they realised they can't distinguish between other sites on the iPhone so just offered it as free.

It is limited to 50mb though. Never hit that limit yet.

Last edited:
I'm actually shaking my head at these data limits that have been posted here so far. I mean how can they even call this mobile broadband for god sakes. Nothing broad about it... for what I have in mind.. its useless :(

to put it in perspective, if you had a mobile phone that needed to transmit data from a mobile location... anywhere.. anytime.. for whatever reason.. on even a 1GB plan you would only get about less than 2 hours a day (with overheads) transmit time @ about 33.6Kbps... since it would take about 66 hours to fill up the 1GB limit.

What a joke. That's simply not good enough in this day and age. And I would love to know how mobile companys get away with it, lol.

t-mobile special offer £10 a month top up = unlimited text and internet and obviously your £10 of credit for talktime

go to t -mobile and request free sim ,offer open until jan 31st

t-mobile special offer £10 a month top up = unlimited text and internet and obviously your £10 of credit for talktime

go to t -mobile and request free sim ,offer open until jan 31st

Cor, that's a pretty good deal. Might look into that, thanks!

Back