Free Static IP Please ?

nilrem

Inactive User
Reaction score
Chaps , a mate of mine is having a wired ip camera security system installed in his garage and wants to be able to access the camera remotely via the web.

He doesnt have an ISP set up at his garage yet and we were looking at the cheapest way to get him on line with a static ip so he can do this

All idea's greatly appreciated

Thanks

dynamic IP services like DynDNS are ideal for people in this situation. It would be very hard to find an ISP who would dish out a free static IP - this is normally a charged service.

I used to have one a few years back, it cost me £3 a month extra on top of my broadband bill, now I am with BT a service like this is fairly pricey, but my router supports DynDNS so doesnt make an issue for me.

Phew that looks complicated , is there anyone who has already done this point me in the right direction , step by step please if possible

Cheers

DynDNS is very straight forward.

Check your router can use DynDNS

plug the login details into your router.

Done.

The only thing you will need to check on are the port details for the IP cam. These will probably need to be forwarded so that you can see it over the internet.

Cheers karym6 ,

I understand the router part and have opened a dyndns account am I right in understanding that if my router supports dyndns I don't need to install an update client as the router will advise dyndns of any ip changes ?

Cheers

Last edited:
Correct, the router will keep dyndns up to date as long as it supports dyndns. As we have said, most of them do, just check the specification before you order.

However if you are using the free service, once a month they will e-mail you to remind you to logon onto dyndns to keep your account active. The link is in the e-mail, it literally takes 30 secs to do.

Correct, the router will keep dyndns up to date as long as it supports dyndns. As we have said, most of them do, just check the specification before you order.

However if you are using the free service, once a month they will e-mail you to remind you to logon onto dyndns to keep your account active. The link is in the e-mail, it literally takes 30 secs to do.

Excellent cheers mate

Back