Free PS3 Repair

jeuz

Inactive User
Reaction score
Not sure if this is in the right place or how many people this will actually help.

My brothers 80GB PS3 died Monday and conveniently his warranty ran out 2 months ago.

I thought I'd phone Sony for him, to try fix it on my warranty as mine is still valid. They ran through a few questions to try and fix it. Afterwards he asked for the serial number and where, when I brought it.

Now this is where I was expecting to be told to provide proof of purchase, but no he just said i'll send a courier around Wednesday to replace it.

Still a bit skeptical I wait and sure enough a courier arrives, gives me a "refurb" PS3 with 3 months warranty and takes the broken one.

Anyway to my point you can phone Sony give them any date within the last 12 months and a supplier, I used Argos, and they will send you a refurb console.

NO PROOF OF PURCHASE NEEDED!!

I tried this with my friends and he had his picked up today and replaced.

This has worked for 40GB and 80GB versions, not sure about 60GB.

Customer Services number: 0844 736 0595

Last edited:
Done the same a few times with the PS2.

Sony have superb Customer Services.

Sony have superb Customer Services.

Agreed the whole thing was quick and hassle free. They seem like they actually want to help you. Also not much of a wait before I spoke to an advisor.

cheers m8 will have to look at picking up a cheap faulty one and see what happens

heres me doing it the had way lol took it aprt to do the ylod fix took ages with all the bloody screws this might have helped me .

You wont get a away with it with the 60gb's due to the fact they havent been on sale for at least a year now!

so you gave your serial number instead of the broken one?

if so what happens if your console breaks? whos serial will you give?

When i had to get my ps3 fixed because it stopped reading discs (well, i bought it broken and cheap) the CS was quite anoying, they asked me what type of discs it wouldnt read, they asked if ive tried an audio cd, i stupidly said i hadnt and they said i had to as it wasnt a faulty drive even though it wouldnt read games blu rays and dvd's

i just put the phone down called back and sorted it with someone else :)

so you gave your serial number instead of the broken one?

No mate I gave them the broken consolels serial as when they come to deliver/collect they check the serial on the console.

I agree they do ask a few pointless questions but they get there in the end.

bought a 2nd hand 40gb one a month or so ago and while it works probs wouldnt be a bad idea to try this has a 40gb really been sold in last 12 months though as your post suggests?
if so what would be a good failure reason dont really know mucha about ps3's?

bought a 2nd hand 40gb one a month or so ago and while it works probs wouldnt be a bad idea to try this has a 40gb really been sold in last 12 months though as your post suggests?
if so what would be a good failure reason dont really know mucha about ps3's?

Game 40gb console

Not sure try broken blu-ray, just keep saying everything they suggest doesnt work.

My 60GB model went tits up last Friday - I called Sony CS and they said £131 please fora refurb unit! I said "seriously?" and they said "Yup!".

I keep reading these stories of people getting their units replaced for free and it's depressing the balls offa me!

They kept asking me "did you purchse this prior to December 2007?" and I said it must of been (although I think it was Jan time tbh) and they then say about £131 so not sure what happens if I say "after" december 2007....

BooHoo me :(

Join the club, 520 on release year and another 145 quid to get a refurb unit when it fucked up :(

Join the club, 520 on release year and another 145 quid to get a refurb unit when it fucked up :(

So I get mine £14 cheaper then ;) In fact I can "upgrade" to a 120GB Phat if I want too :D

For the extra £100 I might as well pick up a 120GB slim and be done with it.. I hardly use the PS2, card reader or extra USB slots anyways and perhaps they might YLOD a little less!

just tried and they asked for a recipt :( i think it depends on the CECH thing at the end

Back