free phone number for pc?

bigsparky

Inactive User
Reaction score
VOIP phone calls

http://www.sipgate.co.uk/user/index.php

This site allows you to have a phone number for your pc. You can choose if its an area code number, 0845 or 0870 number...

All you need to do is sign up, and then download a program called X-Lite

This then allows people to call that number at normal local rate charges and it will ring on your pc and using a headset you can talk through your pc.

you can also set up voicemail
X-Lite can be downloaded at: http://www.xten.com/index.php?menu=...ssmenu=download

How to configure X-Lite: https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/c...show_conf=xlite

hi m8 but can you dial out on it as well m8

good idea though

cheers

gav12345 said:
hi m8 but can you dial out on it as well m8

good idea though

cheers

In answer to your question, yes...

Calls to other VOIP (not inc Skype) are Free as are calls to other sipgate users, you can currently get 1000 minutes to Fixed lines (UK) for £5.90 per month which is pretty bloody cheap

United Kingdom Landlin 1.19 p/min
United Kingdom Mobile 14.90 p/min
United Kingdom 0870 7.51 p/min **same as BT**
United Kingdom 0845 3.00 p/min **same as BT**

As everything is managed online you can easily use this as a home business service or for ebay etc, all calls are managed via online

sipgate Voicemail is a free voice mail box for your sipgate phone number:

Give it a go...

k-net2020 said:
In answer to your question, yes...

Calls to other VOIP (not inc Skype) are Free as are calls to other sipgate users, you can currently get 1000 minutes to Fixed lines (UK) for £5.90 per month which is pretty bloody cheap

United Kingdom Landlin 1.19 p/min
United Kingdom Mobile 14.90 p/min
United Kingdom 0870 7.51 p/min **same as BT**
United Kingdom 0845 3.00 p/min **same as BT**

As everything is managed online you can easily use this as a home business service or for ebay etc, all calls are managed via online

Give it a go...

just have to get a headset sometime first though i never even thought of using it like that though

its opening my eyes cheers

cheers

I use them as my main phone provider, I don't have a hard-wired phone line anymore. If you have a router, buy something like the Linksys PAP2 adapter, if not buy an all-in-one router like Linksys WRT54G, then connect your house phones up.

I put a tenner on it in June and haven't even used all that yet, but have still saved the tenner a month I'd be paying to the phone company - so in one way, the service has already paid for itself.

They also e-mail you mp3 answerphone messages !

I use a seperate a voip program called firefly, allows you to manually configure your incoming and outgoing voip call settings.

So I can use sipgate for my incoming calls and then use my www.voipbuster.com account to make free international calls (inc the UK) .... perfect

i have skype set up via a box which allows me to use skype(which happens to be dirt cheap i phone abroad regulary and its only cost me 11 euros from jun)and via my own dect cordless phone it uses it in such a way that i can have 2 lines when someone phones me on landline i can take that call but if someone phones via skype i can put landline on hold and and answer skype call it cannot be used if there is a power failure but my phone bill is non exsisitng as its hardly ever used

why not try voipcheap.co.uk

Free landline calls for up to 1 minute.
Or if you deposit £5 then you get your own number, free calls for an unlimited amount of time and cheap call rates to mobiles and countries that arent free. Check it out.

emben said:
why not try voipcheap.co.uk

Free landline calls for up to 1 minute.
Or if you deposit £5 then you get your own number, free calls for an unlimited amount of time and cheap call rates to mobiles and countries that arent free. Check it out.
according to their site it seems they now require £10 and not the £5 you stated ??

at present calls to UK landline would be free so how would i ever use the £10 ??

Apart from that .. its quite good ... installed and tried it (get 1 min free then it cuts you off ... so you just re-dial after the minute .. lol)

Last edited:
Stewie said:
If you have a router, buy something like the Linksys PAP2 adapter, if not buy an all-in-one router like Linksys WRT54G, then connect your house phones up.

Any advice on the second (already have this) take it I need one of the voip type phones?

Back