Free/Faster Broadband ?

dgc808

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi All, I have been a member of this site for ages ! Im usually in the Dbox2/PSP section. But lately i have been looking at the cable modem section and was wondering if its possible to get free/Faster broadband through cable ? I am currently running a (Motorola SB5100 SurfBoard cable modem i think its 2MB) on Virgin Media (was Telewest). If this is possible could some one please give me more details or point me in the direction of a Tutorial on this subject if there is such a thing.

Any help greatly received

Cheers DGC808

yes m8 you can get another modem and clone and get on 10meg

look for the haynes modem guide which covers the lot

If you have cable tv yes because it both runs off the same line

Hi Guys, Thanks for the quick replies, I do indeed have cable tv as well as the Broadband and phone. Would it be possible to get a new modem and clone as you say and then get my cable broadband turned off ? Or do i need to keep paying for say my 2mb and get it faster using the cloned modem ? Is it possible to get my broadband switched off by cable company and still use a cloned modem (can they tell if your using the internet and not paying for it ?)

Cheers DGC808

I think you can get away with canceling the internet but remember to clone a mac that is fully working

Hi Guys, Thanks for the quick replies, I do indeed have cable tv as well as the Broadband and phone. Would it be possible to get a new modem and clone as you say and then get my cable broadband turned off ? Or do i need to keep paying for say my 2mb and get it faster using the cloned modem ? Is it possible to get my broadband switched off by cable company and still use a cloned modem (can they tell if your using the internet and not paying for it ?)

Cheers DGC808
yes m8 u can. get a motorola from from fleabay 4100 and 4200 are the ezs or if u want challenage get a ambit 250 u will also need a working mac that is not from ur area basically if u know some1 that live about 2 miles away that has a live cable u can run a scan using dhcpforce on their line to get some working mac before then cancel broadband but keep the and phone to garuantee u still getting go signal and u will need to spoof ur network card to and they will never know

Read Haynes Cable Modem Manual. I just read it now. Its great!

u dont need to buy a modem if u cancel - virgin have said their not collecting cancelled modems unless u cancel tv services at the same time

But wouldnt that be the same as modding a subbed modem?

Your definantly better off not modding your subbed modem mate. You can pick a 250 up off fleabay for about a tenner delivered anyway.

And because you have been subbed to the CC don't forget to either change your NIC cards MAC addy, and your routers, XBOX or other equipment you have connected (Use SMAC to spoof your NIC or buy a new card).

Another point is if you currently use an NTL - e-mail account (Or any other CC mail address) then you need to setup a hotmail or GMail account and have your mail forwarded to that as if you read your e-mails on a cloned modem they know it's you ;)

Hope this helps m8

:)

Click the link in my signature to get the latest all dancing, all singing Haynes Guide in PDF format with clickable bookmarks for ease of use.

Regards

modems in telewest area

im interested in getting a modem cloned for the republic of ireland, its under the telewest ntl network, does anyone no if its possible to do it, and if so is there anywhere i could look for information on it. thanks.

im interested in getting a modem cloned for the republic of ireland, its under the telewest ntl network, does anyone no if its possible to do it, and if so is there anywhere i could look for information on it. thanks.

Read the thread again, paying good attention to the post above yours and all will be revealed..... ;)

Back