Fredombox

fus10n

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
FreedomBox is designed to be your own inexpensive server at home. It runs free software and offers an increasing number of services ranging from a calendar or jabber server to a wiki or VPN. Our web interface allows you to easily install and configure your apps. Be your own host!
freedombox.PNG

Has anyone tried this?

Looks interesting could use i to watch E2 from outside home. would be interesting to see if it can act as an outgoing VPN as well so not having to buy a new router

Looks like an interesting project. Not tried it myself.

So I installed this on a RaspberryPi 2 and interestingly this has OpenVPN and tor network capabilities. Not tried the Tor network yet, just installing Openvpn so will let you know how easy it is to setup and use.

Update:
If your going to try freedombox the install is headless and also takes ages so best to start and walk away for a while.

I've installed openvpn and it works on my phone brilliantly, even while on my mobile network when away from home! So my mobile connects to my freedombox at home while on mobile network using openvpn. The openvpn install does take a very long time, well it did on my raspberry pi2 anyway, not sure how it long it would take on more powerful equipment.

The Tor network : This is what it does:

tor.PNG

The only thing I can't get to work is the proxy which i'm still trying to work out! I've not tried the voice calls, email or chat application as of yet!

Last edited:
hi guys. this is the kind of stuff i shouldnt try to do because I am not a computer whizz but i have watched this since the thread was made. ive read my head off. watched hours of presentations on youtube and it all look so easy, one click set up and no admin they say. plus i have a pi 2 that was doing nothing as well so everything was good to go. so over the last few days ive been giving it a go. its so frustrating because i can see that its installed cause the lights are solid on the pi, i can see that it is installed sucessfully because i can see it in my file browser when i i click on network, but when i types https :// freedom.local it cant connect for some reason. i like the idea of it, i cant say i really need it but id like to get it going, if i can get it sorted i will use the fk out of it.

Did yous do any other steps to connect to the freedombox other than type freedombox.local in a internet browser? if so what other steps did yous do or do yous have any suggestions for me to connect to it? where would yous go from here. i see i can set it up in a vm but id prefere the pi tbh.

its saying cant connect and server not found. wtf is going on?

cheers folks.

I installed it, and came back to it a hours later. I then found the i.p of the freedombox from my router and was able to connect to it with that initially. Once all the setup was done you can then you can connect via the normal url.

I think i may have also rebooted it before trying to connect to it too....

Last edited:
Cheers mate I got it sorted thanks to your advice maybe I shouldn't be playing with these kind of things if I don't know something like that but she's working now gonna learn what these different apps do I know tor and VPN couple of others.

Have u been using it at all other than to test it??has it come in handy for you?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Nah don't be put off, i tried loads of things until i found a tip online somehwere - so i was scratching my head a bit too.

I use the vpn all the time when out and about. My router can do open vpn but it seems to not work 100%. The freedombox vpn, once setup, is great and stable. The dynamic dns is bit tricky to setup, i had to forward port 80 to the freedombox i.p addy temporarily for it to setup. You'll need that if you want to use the vpn out and about!

I'm off to work now but if you need anymore help i will try my best :-D

Yeah I'll be wanting to use that so that's me next headache hahah

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

hi fusion, yeah you was right i did get the error when i tried to use the vpn. it says. there was an error attempting to connect to the server. so it looks like i will have to do the same thing you had to do. So what do I have to do now? do i have to forward port 80 on me router, then make the connection and then unforward the port if that is even a thing lol.

please advise

if i remember correctly you have to setup your dynamic dns client first i think. I'm a bit fuzzy atm as had waaaay to much beers last night lol

dynamic.PNG

them fkers was lying 1 click no admin my bollocks. did you already have all of your own details to fill in that dynamic dns or did you go through the steps to create your own? did you use the free one they suggest or is there another you suggest? while i wait for your response. im going to try and find out what a dns is hahaha this will decide if i give up or not hahahah

I did the free one they suggested. I only use this as i then don't have keep on downloading the vpn.opn files everytime my isp changes my i.p address. I also have forwarded the port open vpn uses to the freedombox and this may be where you need to look to get the vpn working.

hi im just getting back onto this now. will you answer me a couple of questions just so im clear what i have to do?

when i forward the port 80 do i do that on me router. does that mean open the port?
do i close port 80 again once its set up
do you think i should install the firewall have you?
should i do the encryption to get a certificate?

i know its a lot of questions just wannna know what to check out

cheers

ive gave up on this one i think i was trying to do all the things at the same time haha when i hadnt a clue about any of them but i got a free years vpn i won it on twitter that finish this for me now im trying to something else with the raspberry pi its to use for the notrack off that guy on youtube but i think im still going to be stuck by the ip things which got me mostly stuck before but i do love at least trying this sht lol

hey i just went through this threat again. do you think if i forward port tcp port 80 and http port 443, and get my dns name that this will work?

You only need to forward port 80 if i remember. 443 is no longer supported. You only need to forward it until you get your dns

Back