Other Format encrypted HDD

nyck

Inactive User
Reaction score
Our work laptops were replaced about a year ago and were allowed to keep the old ones
It uses PGP wholedisk Encryption as does my new one .I ways kept the same password only changing the last digit when requested.
My personal laptop has died so thought ill try my old work on .I must of changed the password or something as i can get past the PGP passsword screen .

Is there any thing i can do ,I would just like to format it and reload windows without the PGP software

thanks

Our work laptops were replaced about a year ago and were allowed to keep the old ones
It uses PGP wholedisk Encryption as does my new one .I ways kept the same password only changing the last digit when requested.
My personal laptop has died so thought ill try my old work on .I must of changed the password or something as i can get past the PGP passsword screen .

Is there any thing i can do ,I would just like to format it and reload windows without the PGP software

thanks

Concerning the reformatting, it should be possible to use the typical "boot and nuke" approach. It would be recommended to decrypt first, however, as occasionally the partition information is not completely removed during the reformat process, and the drive may still show as encrypted after the OS and PGP are reinstalled.

Regarding the question about recovery options, you should create a Recovery Disk for your version of PGP Desktop or Symantec Encryption Desktop. You need to use the correct iso for your version. The iso files can be found here:

Symantec Drive Encryption and PGP Whole Disk Encryption Recovery Disks

Some other basic troubleshooting and Recovery steps can be found here:

Drive Encryption Diagnosis and Recovery - Symantec Drive Encryption & PGP Whole Disk Encryption

Note that while you can decrypt using the recovery CD, it is faster to slave the drive to another machine with PGP Desktop installed.

Quick google;

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

Boot with someting like Hirens or UBCD and use the drive tools from there
Or connect the hard drive to the computer, open CMD/DISKPART and run the CLEAN command
Then create a new partition and youre done!

As long as you can boot the Windows disk then you should be able to just delete the partition and install

Back