Foreign Sat Tv In Pubs

well unfortunately it doesnt really :(. It is a biased viewpoint (well it would obviously be biased lol). However it can equally be argued by the otherside and the FACT remains that there isnt a law, apart from the 2.45pm~5.15pm law. This document is not from a court or Judge and remains only a viewpoint, if you do use OFFICIAL equipment then what law says thats illegal? It also remains that there has only been one reported case that went to court for official equipment used outside the 2.45~5.15 period and the landlord won!! Now they are only persuing those that show games in the closed period and just scare tactics for the rest of the pubs at the mo ;).

I'm no barrister but i still say this is just the PremLeagues 'viewpoint' and scare tactics only, however i take no responsibility for anyone taken to court lol, its just that if owned a pub i'd stand my ground along with everyone else. Sooner or later this will have to be settled once and for all by a courtcase but it seems to me the PremLeague dont want to spend the money on chancing it?!?

hmm, was taken from a pub magazine,as for people going to court a friend of mine has been to court twice,fined £500 1st time £1900 second.......

mps is a company that works on the behalf of sky, the only thing they prosecute for is the showing of a residential contract in a commercial premises. i phoned them pretending to be a clued up pub owner and the only thing they would commit to was that showing a 3pm game would deffinatley get you prosecuted, anything else the answer was "sky own the copyrights", he told me that using a foreign card outside its boundries was illegal, so when i asked about the steady supply of official address free skycards in spain etc being the same thing he hung up on me, funny that

i have a 4 page long letter that has been sent to some of the pubs near me once sky got word that someone was offering albanian football systems for the same price a 2 monthe of their subscription, if i can get my scanner working ill post copies here

theres also a post in the sky uk section about this here

This is just a small section taken from the Copyright, Designs and Patents
Act 1988

1988 CHAPTER 48

Section 297A: Unauthorised decoders

297A.-(1) A person who makes, imports, sells or lets for hire, offers or exposes for sale or hire, or advertises for sale or hire, any unauthorised decoder shall be guilty of an offence and liable-

(a) on summary conviction, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months, or to a fine not exceeding the statutory maximum, or to both

(b) on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding ten years, or to a fine, or to both.

This section does not have effect in relation to any offence committed before the commencement of this section.

(2) It is a defence to any prosecution for an offence under this section for the defendant to prove that he did not know, and had no reasonable ground for knowing, that the decoder was an unauthorised decoder.
(3) In this section--

"apparatus" includes any device, component or electronic data;

"decoder" means any apparatus which is designed or adapted to enable (whether on its own or with any other apparatus) an encrypted transmission to be decoded;

"transmission" means any programme included in a broadcasting service which is provided from a place in the United Kingdom; and

"unauthorised", in relation to a decoder, means a decoder which will enable encrypted transmissions to be viewed in decoded form without payment of the fee (however imposed) which the person making the transmission, or on whose behalf it is made, charges for viewing those transmissions, or viewing any service of which they form part.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So basically the section i have highlighted in BOLD says that you are innocent of any offence if YOU BELIEVE the system that you are using is legitimate.

If allowed i will post a link to the full copyright act, or just google it for more info.

Back