Ford Focus issues 2014

tottenhamboys

DW Member ++
Reaction score
VEHICLE OVERHEATING AND NO HEAT IN VEHICLE CUSTOMER REPORTED 2 RECENT THERMOSTATS FITTED. NO OBVIOUS LEAKS FOUND, CARRY OUT COMBUSTION LEAK TEST - NO FAULT EVIDENT. EXPLAINED TO CUSTOMER THE PROCESS OF ELIMINATION. REPLACED WATER PUMP AND CAMBELT WITH CUSTOMERS AUTHORISATION, STILL OVERHEATING. CARRY OUT ANOTHER COMBUSTION LEAK TEST...NO FAULT FOUND. DISCONNECT AND BYPASS HEATER MATRIX, FAULT STILL APPARENT. NEXT STAGE ADVISED RADIATOR TO BE TESTED FOR BLOCKAGES, CUSTOMER DID NOT WANT TEST AND AUTHORISED RADIATOR REPLACEMENT. FIT NEW RADIATOR (PART FAULTY) ORDER NEW AND REPLACE. FAULT STILL APPARENT.

Sorry for Caps just copying what I’ve been told by my garage guys losing the will to live and costing me a packet

faulty thermostat or blocked heater core?

Had two thermostat already on it can‘t be a fourth can it? as for blocked heater core will ask garage tomorrow

Take it to a different garage that knows how to fix it maybe.

defo blocked coolant system if you changed the thermo twice or even damaged pipes

For a 2014 to be stuffed coolant would need to be muck.I did hear years ago some were not compatible and would gel up.Pump and belt replaced would have seen this if it was gel.
Is the car losing coolant as running out of water then it has a leak somewhere and is it petrol or diesel as had one that cracked the head from losing water.Much more vapour would be seen out of exhaust if gone.Was it a test that had fluid that did not change colour.

Some Fords dont have temp sensor pickup for fan to come on and controlled by ecu,has live data been checked to see dash gauge reads correctly.
With heater hoses on was the hand check to see if all hoses were getting hot at normal temp and thinking no heat into car might be an air flap error if it has air con as not many cars now have the old heater tap for on and off of water.Pollen filter good?
Expansion bottle pipe entrance clean to allow circulating .

I remember having a heater fault with a Astra I had years ago and when I took it to the garage he said it would be a new heater matrix....apparently a lot of labour involved so cost was several hundred quid.....said I'd think about it. Mentioned it to my dad and he got a bottle of stuff for 3 quid which clears blockages.....put that in and ran the car around for about a week and the heating suddendly kicked in. Was buzzing!!! Had my head out of the window driving around cos I was too hot but wanted to let the heat pump out in the car :)

After road testing it over weekend, they think I’ve got a crack in my head gasket so going to hopefully make a start on that today. Get it back by the end of the week fingers crossed looking around £750-800 cars only 6 years old with 72K on the clock never mind the car worth more then the money they are asking to do the job.

Thanks for asking guys

I do hope they did a sniffer test to see if it changed colour,if overheating maybe the head is damaged.

At the moment the garage can’t put the finger on it, saying they have done two different test to try and spot a leak on the head but both test and both come back with no leaks, so today they have removed the thermostat which the car has had two already....so say...and going drive it home tonight with out a thermostat to see not sure what that will show and also said about trying a genuine Ford thermostat,

You never said what engine is in the car peugeot or ford petrol or diesel and stick up a photo.I did ask if it was running out of coolant as bottle going low.So they might have done the sniff test and not changed colour.No thermostat will mean no heat and lucky its warm now.

It’s a Peugeot engine it’s 1.6TDCI it’s a ST line I think they are trying to find out if I’m got head gasket failure will remoing the thermostat cause it to show head failure?

No removing stat will only make car run cooler,Is car running out of coolant as you never said which might be internal issue.It might be a regular stat as cant see what goes on yours.Not sure if these cars have 2 bleed screws to vent air out of engine and heater pipes.
Starting from cold does it feel like its chuggy not running on all 4 cylinders and level drops overnight due to high pressure in cooling system looking for the weakest link to vent.

They saying they put in about half pint of water in it over weekend, but weather is hot may have something to do with it no? So if they phone me tomorrow with out the stat in it and its still running hot then I've got head gasket issues?

Ahh so there is a weep from somewhere as dropping water level from a sealed system and if no funny smells under bonnet like a sweet taste in your mouth or rainbow colours on inside of windscreen due to rad weeping inside.Was the car driven in the red when over heating or is there just a red light and no gauge .Hopefully not a faulty cylinder head as very expensive when cracked.
Car might not run so hot as water keeps going around the engine as no stat to stop it but wont fix water loss by other means.

No sweet taste car got to the needle before the red then I pulled over no engine management lights come on the dash no smoke car seems very smooth just got no heat and run hot very quick

I wonder if you can reach the very hot heater pipes to see if they were hot to touch.
Does car have air con and switched off as maybe a flap issue on that,but if not bleed at the rear valve still no heat in car.
Working on a C4 timing belt 1.8 petrol engine there are 2 tyre valve caps on cooling system to bleed the air out so water flow is normal.
Forgot to ask if rubber rad hoses go rock hard when hot pointing to over pressure of system and possible gasket/head issue.
If rad was stuffed one hose stays cold as water cannot flow through it.Both at same temp suggest it flowing through it.

Back