Footballers and wages

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Why tf do footballers still get paid ?. Can their clubs not lay them off and stick them on the max 2.5k ? You know like the rest of us non essential services ?. Correct me if I'm wrong but their not working right now !!!!!.

Why tf are they any different from the guy who signs a contract to work at say Adsa warehouse ??.

It just p#ssed me off when Bayern Munich players offered to take a 20% pay cut

!!!! Oh the hardship!!!!, it must be fcukin killing them.

The point to the question is, I'm sure these clubs and TV will be looking to recoup losses when things eventually settle and we as fans will end up picking up the bill.

Drop their money to 2.5k a month then let's see how they cope with it for 6 month.

And what fcuks me off is, these greedy fcukin footballers will be coming on tv dropping a shopping bag off at Doris's bedsit thumbs up then post it up on social media superhero style.
Their wages will still get paid bleeding the "no income clubs" dry. This will mean certain clubs will never recover and close.

There's 100' s of clubs in the UK who totally rely on match sponsors, corporate, match day tickets, match day merchandise. These are not propped up with huge Prem money.

The same clubs will go bump for sure because they still have a huge wage bill to pay to players who ain't fcukin working/playing. Lots of fans won't have a club to go back to.
I

Lots of clubs offer lots of non football related services in the community say for the disabled, mental health , schools, the elderly the list is endless.
If these greedy f##kin footballers still get paid these services will be scrapped by the clubs theyll have no choice.
The Gov needs to step in and whatever's stopping clubs paying them allow them not to be paid.

Stop their wages (non essential service)
Cant work from home so accept 2.5k and live off your savings like us. And if you have a certain level of savings you get fcuk all till you reach that level.
Years ago my old lady (no longer with us) got hammered till she had less than £16,500 of savings paying her own rent on a state pension. She only had 25k after lifetime of saving
I hate that greed in times like this, clubs need to stop paying them and those cnuts they call agents.
Were asking been asked and told to do financially but these lot seem to be exempt, why ? fcuk knows someone please enlighten me

Last edited:
Simple answer is contracts. Unless they've got a break clause in them for such things, then they're still entitled to get paid.

If it was you, would you be taking a pay cut? Would you hell! Just because they get paid mental amounts, doesn't mean they're not entitled to be paid, or have their wages dropped drastically. It's a law minefield, and these guys have enough £ to hire the best lawyers who would will argue everything.

Barca have asked their players to take a 70% pay cut, and they've told the club to FO! Is it the players fault, that these clubs have extended their finances beyond their means?

I understand they have contracts but you can also sign a contract when you are employed which large company.
It's not a case of whether they like it or not. The clubs are closed, period. The Gov stopped them from playing, only the bare maintenance guys are in.

Don't ask us to do one thing while you happily crack on destroying the club the club play for.
Again, Joe Public are asked to take the brunt while footballers sit back comfortably coining it in off slot of clubs with no income or very little.
Surely the club can shut shop (as they've done) and say
Sorry guys no work come back September go see the Gov. Why are they an exemption.

And as for that prick Pogba , don't get me going. Starting a fcukin Corona charity for kids ???. He wants to read up which people suffer the most the dick or just give quietly like Elton John and George Michael did, no pat on the back needed thanks.

Don't ask us to do one thing while you happily crack on destroying the club the club play for.
Again, Joe Public are asked to take the brunt while footballers sit back comfortably coining it in off slot of clubs with no income or very little.
Surely the club can shut shop (as they've done) and say
Sorry guys no work come back September go see the Gov. Why are they an exemption.

They're not exempted. But they have a contract that says I get paid x amount on y day. If that doesn't happen, then the PFL can step in and say you need to pay these players. Club cannot do anything to stop it. Again, unless there is a break clause in the contract, much like there is in Insurance contracts about "natural disasters" etc.

Im not sure what you're referring to by joe public taking the brunt. The footballers will still pay tax on their earnings via PAYE, so they're paying into the system and society in general. It's like the argument about making the rich pay more taxes, they already pay the vast majority of taxes per %. (Im not talking about those that use tax evasion schemes).

IF, the club has over extended itself to bring in player xyz on abc amount per week, is it that footballers fault? Should he not be paid because the club messed up? It would be the same if the player downed tools, the club would immediately start fining them on their wages.

Let's look at this a different way. You own a business, and you employ 1000 people, you have clients that you provide services for, and continue to do so. Some of your clients stop paying you for poor service, or because their business has gone under. Is it ok for you to cut the wages of your staff to reflect your losses as a business? Of course it isn't as this wouldn't be fair on those employees, unless you have some clause in the contract saying you can do it, and they didn't read the fine print.

You've obviously got a bee in your bonnet about a footballer or club, but it's not their fault they're good at kicking a ball, and get paid an incredulous amount to do so.

So you reckon a footballer at a lower league club been paid let's say on 20k paid by "your" club and for argument sake till next Spring without having to kick a ball (as some Scientist ave predicted Spring not me) and the clubs have no income then your happy to see the clubs go bump ?.
The only people who theyll dont give a flying have about EFL and non league clubs are the Premier clubs.Smaller clubs will go to wall.

Trying to draw comparison with a company 1000 all that , you can't. Were in unchartered territory business wise and laws are been changed and written as we speak.
What contracts they have now might be nothing more than bog roll by Christmas, torn up . You can't get blood from a stone.

Football will be lucky to get back before Christmas.
Prem will survive off TV even behind closed doors , EFL clubs will drop like Bury. I hope the clubs see sense, laws are changed to suit and to try and help clubs survive and contracts thrown in the bin.

Lower clubs cannot sustain it, period. Players will be laid off, contracts are worth fcuk all without law backing them and I'm sure laws will be introduced to help clubs.

Let me guess, your a Utd or Liverpool fan Arsenal or Spurs :)
Bee in my bonnet ? na just hate the thought that clubs will go to the wall due to players getting paid fortunes for nothing.
Cast harder m8 sh1te that

Last edited:
So you reckon a footballer at a lower league club been paid let's say on 20k paid by "your" club and for argument sake till next Spring without having to kick a ball (as some Scientist ave predicted Spring not me) and the clubs have no income then your happy to see the clubs go bump ?.
The only people who theyll dont give a flying have about EFL and non league clubs are the Premier clubs.Smaller clubs will go to wall.

Trying to draw comparison with a company 1000 all that , you can't. Were in unchartered territory business wise and laws are been changed and written as we speak.
What contracts they have now might be nothing more than bog roll by Christmas, torn up . You can't get blood from a stone.

Football will be lucky to get back before Christmas.
Prem will survive off tv , EFL clubs will drop like Bury. I hope the clubs see sense, laws are changed to suit, contracts thrown in the bin.
Lower clubs cannot sustain it, players will be laid off, contracts are worth fcuk all without law backing them

Let me guess, your a Utd or Liverpool fan Arsenal or Spurs :)
Bee in my bonnet
Cast harder m8 sh1te that

Im speaking logically, you're speaking passionately.

What do you want the player to do? He has a family to feed, a house to pay for, he's in no different a position to you! Just he gets paid more, so likely has higher outgoings etc.

Football clubs, are no longer clubs. They're businesses, and you run a business. Is it the employees fault, that the company is run poorly? Of course not. If the business goes bust, what do you think happens to the players(employees), they dont get paid! It's no different to any other business, when it goes into receivership, then creditors get paid first. That wont be the players/employees!!

"Trying to draw comparison with a company 1000 all that , you can't. Were in unchartered territory business wise and laws are been changed and written as we speak."

Yes you can draw comparisons, it's the same exact situation, you're just using football players/employees, rather than normal employees. Again, it's a business, it's not a "club". Those owners dont see it as a club, they see it as a way to make money.

Let me make another example for you. Clubs are bought by millionaires/billionaires, do you think those individuals pump their own money into the club, risk their investment, and get no return? NO, because that's not how a good businessman works. You loan the company money, that way you become a creditor, should it go bust. Ensuring that you take little to no financial hit, should the sheeet hit the fan. Much like the Glaziers have done at UTD, or the guy did at Leeds.

Do you honestly think Mike Ashley gives a hoot about what the barcodes say about him? Nope, because he's making money from the club, he knows its value, and he wont sell for anything less than what he values said club at. That's why he's a billionaire, and we're not. Bit like Jeff Bezos really, he doesn't care about his employees either, as he knows there is 10 more people waiting in the wings to take your job anytime he wants.

I like how you've thrown Bury into the mix. Bury didn't go under because of this, Bury went under because of bad management, and it's inability to make a profit. The key word here being PROFIT. If you spend more than you earn, then you're in the red. If you're in the red too much then you go bust. It's like running a house hold, if you get paid 1000 per month, but you spend 5000 per month, then you're going to lose your house pretty quickly. It's the same for a football club.

You mention contracts being torn up. A contract is a legally binding document, you know that funny thing "The law", im sure you've come across a few other laws in your time, are you suggesting it's ok to only follow the laws that suit you? You might want to review contract law before you embarrass yourself even more. If there is no break clause in a contract, and if both parties fail to agree then you cannot rip a contract up. You can of course, but then you'll be sued in court, and lose on the grounds that you've broken the contract unlawfully, which will lead to damages and other payments.

The reason lower clubs are in trouble, is because they rely upon gate receipts, and live week to week, because simply there is no money in lower league football, fans dont want to see it, and those that do want to see it, are a very small proportion of the population of said city/town. Majority of people want to see PL football, this is the sad truth. How many kids do you see walking around in their local teams jerseys, i'd say a very small %, simply because they want to experience winning and glory, so they support the bigger sides.

You'll need to cast hard @silverdale, i'm none of the teams you've listed. I follow a Championship club, who've been through this exact problem and we had to buy the club back from the owner because he was simply taking all the money out of the club he could. We even had a film made about us :)

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

Have a read before you go off on your next little soliloquy.

Go off on one and soliloquy ? lol again change the bait trooper

Your reading but not listening m8 check you've not left your earplugs in

So let's say you work for a business or self employed you have a contract and you earn 1k a week your company/boss has been told to or forced to close and you are laid off so now you are £1500 a month down.
Footballer:
Earns 1k a week, his boss or club has been told to or forced to close and you are laid off so now you are "still" earning 1k while you are not working.
This club will more than likely have no income.

There's 1000 of business's all over the UK who are poorly run or run at a break even football clubs are not unique in business department you know !.
So the local book shop closes say 20 employees. What would happen if they had to carry on paying them while they've no incoming?.
You cant paint a pig , professional football is a job period.

You make one good point, football is a business, exactly my point.
Same script
Players are contracted
So are alot of workers
Business's have been asked or forced to shut,
Football clubs the same
Employees will be receiving 80% or 2.5k
Footballers full wages

Like I said, footballers are employees of the club. I've heard a rumour that certain clubs are putting a motion forward to get the Gov to step in.

May I ask,

Who the fcuk do you play for???

i agree with some points that is a job and are all employee but under the contract are still entitles to be paid
just like the groundworkers and so on that work for the clubs. pay scale means nothing . my wife is on higher pay
than some in here work place thats shut should she get less because of the situation and she works for the council
football clubs are private business what each chooses to do is up to them

But, the clubs cannot open, the players are not playing, 1000 of UK businesses are in private ownership lots of general workers and are not allowed to open and they might also be in contracts but that doesnt force the business to carry on paying the employees while thier not trading and no income or theyd go bust

The same as a football club will,

I'm yet to hear why footballers are any different, they are employee's of a business.
Lots of people earn far more than 2.5k a month and are seriously gonna feel the pinch.

And now their on the tele on about starting charities. While their still earning fortunes and fortunes in the bank their going to start asking those who've took the wage drop to give,
You honeatly can't make it up. Listen, if their playing and earning then good on them but while were in the sh1t do as others they should not be an exception.
As I'm constantly reminded

"WERE ALL IN IT TOGETHER"
But apparently were not

but not all business are not paying there staff. not all have already sold tickets for the full year.
i would sayu **** the football clubs there getting what was coming for years.
you think the clubs will not be wanting paid from syk and bt for tv rights

Instead of them starting up their own little tax schemes, I mean charities. Would they not do better to donate a weeks wage to the lower clubs?
Quite sure that 1 weeks wage would probably be more than enough to keep the lower clubs afloat during this crisis.

In all seriousness, it is good for our Government that footballers are still being paid and contributing heavily in income tax. The Government should therefore step in and offer to pay 80% of their wages up to a maximum of £2500 per month in line with everyone else.

At the end of the day it's more likely an agent who has refused a cut in wages rather than the footballer.

Go off on one and soliloquy ? lol again change the bait trooper

Your reading but not listening m8 check you've not left your earplugs in

So let's say you work for a business or self employed you have a contract and you earn 1k a week your company/boss has been told to or forced to close and you are laid off so now you are £1500 a month down.
Footballer:
Earns 1k a week, his boss or club has been told to or forced to close and you are laid off so now you are "still" earning 1k while you are not working.
This club will more than likely have no income.

There's 1000 of business's all over the UK who are poorly run or run at a break even football clubs are not unique in business department you know !.
So the local book shop closes say 20 employees. What would happen if they had to carry on paying them while they've no incoming?.
You cant paint a pig , professional football is a job period.

You make one good point, football is a business, exactly my point.
Same script
Players are contracted
So are alot of workers
Business's have been asked or forced to shut,
Football clubs the same
Employees will be receiving 80% or 2.5k
Footballers full wages

Like I said, footballers are employees of the club. I've heard a rumour that certain clubs are putting a motion forward to get the Gov to step in.

May I ask,

Who the fcuk do you play for???

You've answered most of your own questions, and contradicted your argument several times.

Code:
- For your understanding

"So let's say you work for a business or self employed you have a contract and you earn 1k a week your company/boss has been told to or forced to close and you are laid off so now you are £1500 a month down."

Depends on what is within the contract. Self employed is another kettle of fish, and has no bearing on this discussion. 99% of companies will have break clauses within their contracts, these clauses will be to suit the company and not the employee. With footballers it's different, they have just as good lawyers to fawn over the contract, and they can go elsewhere without much issue. Therefore the clubs will normally do their upmost to secure the players services, and will often remove certain items within the contract to suit the player, and ensure the deal is made.

Once again, read up on contract law ;)

Im not sure how many ways I can explain to you that it's all about what is within the contract. Hopefully the above will go someway to explaining to you, as quite frankly, you're the one who's not listening. At no point have I tried to bait you, or get a rise. Im merely trying to show you, in a polite and concise manner that you are in fact incorrect in what you're saying. Again, please read up on contract law. It is fundamental to this discussion.

ATM, you're comparing apples with planes, and thats not a fair comparison. Also when you're quoting someone, at least get the quote correct. I didn't say "go off on one". I even linked you to the meaning of soliloquy, I can do it again if you need to read the definition again.

Code:

Perhaps this will allow you to understand the word a little better. Also, there (Place), Their - (Possession), They are (People) And yes now I am goading you :)

So please tell me as you seem to be very clued up on "contracts" and apples and planes,
Question,

When was this last time the UK was shut down due to a virus and the Gov picked up the wage bill for its workers ....contracts no contracts self employed whatever takes your fancy ? And millions told to stop at home for the foreseeable future ?.

We are facing something no one has ever faced before. If I'm correct that as I type football clubs are making an approach to the Gov about their long term future considering we could potentially be in lockdown tucking into Christmas dinner ?.

You might find that contact as you keep pointing out for me to read will have no bearing. Lawyers work to the laws Goverments pass.

So let's work on the theory that millions might be stood in food bank queue's that a courtroom will be open while a footballer sits with barristers trying to squeeze money from a club who has no longer exist ?.

I think if anyone isn't listening it's clearly you contract been the operative word. You are typing as this is a common cold and a few sneezes and we all reboot.
You might just find contacts of today will be the toilet roll of tomorrow. Again,
So if your not a Utd fan I'll have £50 your a either contracts manager or a football agent cause you like that word dont you !

Lots of clubs cannot sustain paying huge wages to players while these clubs main income (matchday income) has gone and I'm not talking that Prem football either.

Hopefully the Gov will step in save the clubs day and their contacts mean jack sh1te in todays climate. Not all clubs are run by greedy bast#rd Mike Astley's you know. Theres still some Jack Walker type passionate one's out there who love their club and the community their in.
Contracts,
Fcuk me, you've got me at it !!

Last edited:
So please tell me as you seem to be very clued up on "contracts" and apples and planes,
Question,

When was this last time the UK was shut down due to a virus and the Gov picked up the wage bill for its workers ....contracts no contracts self employed whatever takes your fancy ? And millions told to stop at home for the foreseeable future ?.

We are facing something no one has ever faced before. If I'm correct that as I type football clubs are making an approach to the Gov about their long term future considering we could potentially be in lockdown tucking into Christmas dinner ?.

You might find that contact as you keep pointing out for me to read will have no bearing. Lawyers work to the laws Goverments pass.

So let's work on the theory that millions might be stood in food bank queue's that a courtroom will be open while a footballer sits with barristers trying to squeeze money from a club who has no longer exist ?.

I think if anyone isn't listening it's clearly you contract been the operative word. You are typing as this is a common cold and a few sneezes and we all reboot.
You might just find contacts of today will be the toilet roll of tomorrow. Again,
So if your not a Utd fan I'll have £50 your a either contracts manager or a football agent cause you like that word dont you !

Your - Possession
You are - Person

:)

Keep guessing, you've only got to look in a certain football thread to see who I support. I've already said it's not a premership club, it's a championship club.

Last time the UK was shut due to virus - Likely the Spanish flu, think it was 1918. Last time the Gov paid wages, only thing I can think of even close would be when widowers were given benefits due to losing husbands at war. This is how the original benefit system started, but that might've been after WW2 and not WW1.

The government are not going to rescue football clubs, they're not too big to fail, unlike the banks ;)

Im not a contracts manager, although I did study contract/business law at University, but that was 19 years ago.

I also make that £50 you owe me. Quit while you're behind, your pants are so far down now, they are in the neighbours garden!

Code:

There you go, a definitive answer on this exact subject, from a lawyer. The only caveat would be any break clauses, which we obviously don't know.

"Im not a contracts manager, although I did study contract/business law at University, but that was 19 years ago."

Cover your todger up, the only trollies down is yours WeeWillieWinky,

The way we were will never be the same but you seem to think like Moses contracts written in stone forever pmsl.
Laws will be re written, certain contracts will become barbeque firestarters as we will operate in a totally different manner. Lifes gonna change,
Oh an you forgot to mention the bubonic plague

I'll pm you my PayPal :)

Last edited:
Play nicely you two. I agree it’s frustrating that clubs will go to the wall whilst non playing footballers will still get paid. Strange times but let’s not fall out about it. We can always agree to disagree on things. If we all agreed on everything there would be nothing to talk about. You are both usually very articulate in your posts so it’s a shame to see you having a pissing competition in public. Keep safe both of you. We can resurrect this conversation when we get to the other side and hopefully we will still have a league structure because the top teams need the lower leagues to develop talent.

Truce.... jan has a point of view that I disagree with but I can live with that.
Beg to differ

I wish I had a wee willy winky, it's troublesome hauling this massive trouser snake around ;). Hung like a hamster my friend :)

No offence was taken on my behalf, I enjoy a good discussion. @silverdale is a good member, and a nice guy from what i've seen.

Back