Floor Tiles ??

maarksparky

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi folks,

my ongoing bathroom upgrade.. the ceiling is looking all good and will post some photos after I am finished..

now I am on the floor tiles.. the existing floor is really bad therefore, Im gonna put a plywood but not sure which one shall I use. 6mm seems too thin..

please advise which one and what size should I get.. heard of some brazillian plywood but not sure..

thanks in advance..

6 ml is ok
screw it down

I assumed he was going to rip the floor up...;)
i assumed he was going to put plywood over floorboards which is what i done
if u do this and screw every 8 inches the floor will be straight and true enough to tile on

and i would use a water proof addehsive and grout these them selves r flexable

thanks guys.. I need to take the tiles off first and see how it goes, whether I should take the boards off or put on the existing ones.. the last person tiled straight onto the vinyl tiles on the boards hence why the grout keeps coming off and tiles getting snapped... its gonna be a pain taking the adhesive off...

PS: what kind of plywood should I use ? I mean brazillian etc

good point davidh, make sure you use the right adhesive if you are going over wood!

6 ml is ok
screw it down

I tiled my mates floor.. used 6mm but wasnt happy with it.. screwed every 7inches.. wanted to do a better job on my floor.. used the B&Q fast set adhesive.. quite alright.. the ready mixed stuff is not that great...

To do the job right use a 12mm external grade plywood Sheet , Put this down with " annular ring nails" @ 6 " squared intervals and 4" around the edges this is better than screwing !! tbh once you get going and can bang them in with a tap to hold them upright and clout to hit them home you will be done in no time !!!
Then PVA the wood 2 coats of slightly watered down pva , then importantly use a powder based flexi adhesive it may be worth buying a cheap paddle mixer attachment for your drill like this
b4_1_b.JPG
and get a good mix with no lumps
preparation is paramount to ensure the tiles with not come up or break using the above method will ensure longevity ....

thanks guys.. I need to take the tiles off first and see how it goes, whether I should take the boards off or put on the existing ones.. the last person tiled straight onto the vinyl tiles on the boards hence why the grout keeps coming off and tiles getting snapped... its gonna be a pain taking the adhesive off...

PS: what kind of plywood should I use ? I mean brazillian etc

Use any cheapo shuttering ply. Half inch would be the most you'd want to go. Make sure that the ply is flat when you buy it.

If you want to save a few quid you could use hardboard and use PVA to seal it. I'd personally use the cheap hardboard and make sure that a good job is done in sealing the tiles.

I think the priority is to make sure that whatever boarding you put on top of your floor boards does not flex, if it does then the tiles will crack ot the grout will come out.

I wouldn't put anything thinner than 9mm ply down and as has been said 12mm would be the safer option making sure that its screwed or well nailed in place.

I think the priority is to make sure that whatever boarding you put on top of your floor boards does not flex, if it does then the tiles will crack ot the grout will come out.

I wouldn't put anything thinner than 9mm ply down and as has been said 12mm would be the safer option making sure that its screwed or well nailed in place.

you get flexible adhesive and grout for tileing on timber so you shouldnt get cracks.

lets put it this way i used 6 mm on my batroom floor screwed it down and use waterproof tile addehsive and grout and they have been down now over 5 yrs and still going strong
no movement
and i have a big family
lol

magic.. that puts my mind at rest.. see a big task ahead as the tiles were put on directly to the floor.. (no plywood) what a nightmare its gonna be..

Back