Flat Tyre & Locking Wheel Nuts

arbelos

Inactive User
Reaction score
jus got a flat on the way home from work, luckily wasn't far from the house

went to change the tyre and cant get the lockin nut off, key fitted on fine then went to try n get it off n the spinning bit snapped off, now nut looks rounded off and key wont stay on it...

had the brakes changed about 9 months ago and both lockin nuts look a bit of a mess so think garage has put them on to tight

anyone know any ways to get it off? already taken a chunk out the alloy :Angryfire

18mm socket preferably serated one but hexagonal will do, use an old one as you might knacker it. bang it on to the locking nut as tight as you can and twist off as normal. you will be able to get the locknut out of socket with screwdriver and hammer !!
dont forget make sure it is on tight give it a good bash.

get a socket thats a tight a fit as poss to the nut and whack it on as tight as you can then use ratchet to get it off.

your socket is a gonner but it usually gets the job done

*pipped to the post lol*

jus got a flat on the way home from work, luckily wasn't far from the house

went to change the tyre and cant get the lockin nut off, key fitted on fine then went to try n get it off n the spinning bit snapped off, now nut looks rounded off and key wont stay on it...

had the brakes changed about 9 months ago and both lockin nuts look a bit of a mess so think garage has put them on to tight

anyone know any ways to get it off? already taken a chunk out the alloy :Angryfire

m8 i use 19mm and works every time it will fook the 19mm but who cares as long as you get the wheel off i can do it in 12 sec you will need new bit you can get if you have the code but 19mm works for me m8

cheers for the help lads...get it done tommorow hopefully, if i can find my das socket set

one problem after another with this car

cheers for the help lads...get it done tommorow hopefully, if i can find my das socket set

one problem after another with this car

just whack it on with a hammer and it will be off in a tick.
my uncle has a scrapi and when cars come in without i take them off this way if you have truble give me a shout i live in milton

cheers mate for your help, actually not that far from you...work in bishi n live in kirkie

not had a chance to try n get them off yet (hungover n off during week, do it then) gonna have to buy another 19mm socket anyway as both front lockin nuts are fuked and backs came off fine

mates got mcguard nuts to replace all four, dunno if they are any gd but anythin no to go to a vauxhall dealer plus not arsed if sumone steals them to be honest wouldnt mind some new alloys :)

Last edited:
you will be able to get the nut out of the socket m8. just put a big screwdriver through the other sid against the nut and bang with your hammer. had to do mine last month all 4 3 were solid got them off no prob with 18mm. usud a good quality socket (teng) still as good as new.

cheers mate for your help, actually not that far from you...work in bishi n live in kirkie

not had a chance to try n get them off yet (hungover n off during week, do it then) gonna have to buy another 19mm socket anyway as both front lockin nuts are fuked and backs came off fine

mates got mcguard nuts to replace all four, dunno if they are any gd but anythin no to go to a vauxhall dealer plus not arsed if sumone steals them to be honest wouldnt mind some new alloys :)

your 2 mins away m80 can pop round and help if you like

cheers...will give it a go on thursday any problems will give you a shout

cheers...will give it a go on thursday any problems will give you a shout

cool m80 remember its only 5mins away if you want to do thursday ,pm me if you need help wont take long to do m80

the cars fecked at the moment (engine and now both front alloys)...i have greenflag threw my bank account but tried foning them and they said speak to my bank as they didnt have my details??

mapman...yur uncle have any astra mk4 3 door in the now by any chance? z16xe engine but any 3 door for a few other parts?

the cars fecked at the moment (engine and now both front alloys)...i have greenflag threw my bank account but tried foning them and they said speak to my bank as they didnt have my details??

mapman...yur uncle have any astra mk4 3 door in the now by any chance? z16xe engine but any 3 door for a few other parts?

no m8 no astra mk4

Back