Flashing

Trabbs

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Can someone please give me a basic idea what to do before flashing an Image? I know I have to set the IP address for the box one less than the PC, make sure firewalls turned off and hold certain buttons on the box when I power it up. I did have a null cable ? but have put it in a safe place (I've lost it)! I have been using pacino's 2006 image with no probs but if I can avoid using chatterbox on a regular basis it would be good! Hope I've not broken any rules. If this talk is not allowed perhaps someone could PM me. Thanks for reading.

The short way
Use flashfxp and find the au fix files and transfer them to var/k*ys overwriting the others then blue button menus and choose evo or mgcamd then leave it on a blank ch for 5 mins.
The long way
Use flashfxp and back up the image using the dbox menus it will put it in the /tmp folder on the box
read one partition and flash without bootloader also back your bouquets and services files to your pc from
var/tuxbox/config/zapit
once you have done this delete the image out of the /tmp folder and then transfer one of the fixed au images you want to flash to the /tmp folder on the box and use the dbox menus to flash it
write one partition and flash without bootloader after it has rebooted transfer your bouquets and services file back and reboot again.

Thanks m8, appreciate your help. Can I do all that without the null modem cable? I have the files you refer to. If it is easier the first way and I do need the cable, I will go and get one.

Thanks guys, I am feeling brave enough to have a go now! I found the other cable so presumably having that will help me see where I am?

Sorry guys, I am a numpty! I have done the long way up to the backup bouquets and service files bit. How do I back them to the PC, I can't see the dbox on my pc - that cable fits the dbox but is the same as the connection at the pc end - both female connection! Any help much appreciated. Sorry to be a pain!

Sorry guys, I am a numpty! I have done the long way up to the backup bouquets and service files bit. How do I back them to the PC, I can't see the dbox on my pc - that cable fits the dbox but is the same as the connection at the pc end - both female connection! Any help much appreciated. Sorry to be a pain!

By that cable I presume you mean your null modem cable ???

You need to ftp your box to your pc with an ethernet crossover cable or straight if going through a router. You will also need an ftp client like flashfxp.

Yes, the null modem cable. I have the ethernet crossover cable which can connect to the dbox as it has made a backup image. I will try to get hold of flashfxp. What do I do then, just follow fergalsworld's guide?

Don't worry guys - I give up - I could be here for the rest of my life trying to sort this. I have got the flashfxp but haven't a clue how to find the dbox on it. I have spent all day trying this so its time to get on with my life again. Thanks to those of you who tried to help.

Last edited:
As stated above, you don't need a null-modem serial cable for FTP (or Telnet)- for these protocols, it's a crossover Ethernet cable for a direct PC > dbox connection, or a std ethernet patch cable if connecting via the two with a router.

And it doesn't look like you have a serial port on your pc in any case. It would have 9 MALE pins if it was! But that's by and by...

Setup FlashFXP:

Open Site Manager- New Site
IP Address: Your dbox IP
Port: 21
User: root
Pass: dbox
Path: /var/
and Save.

But for all this to work, you might need to set a static IP on your pc's NIC, if connecting directly...

Cheers- AL

Can someone please give me a basic idea what to do before flashing an Image? I know I have to set the IP address for the box one less than the PC, make sure firewalls turned off and hold certain buttons on the box when I power it up. I did have a null cable ? but have put it in a safe place (I've lost it)! I have been using pacino's 2006 image with no probs but if I can avoid using chatterbox on a regular basis it would be good! Hope I've not broken any rules. If this talk is not allowed perhaps someone could PM me. Thanks for reading.

The box IP should be one more than the PC. Follow Fergals guide carefully, don't rush, all good things come to those that wait, lol, like Guinness !!

Thanks guys, I will have another look, having thought about it over night I do wonder whether the crossover cable I am using is okay, I will use the one from my internet connection this time as I know that works! It does seem as if it works because I have backed up the image I was using but maybe that is all dbox led rather than PC led - like I said, don't know much about it! (clearly if I thought I had a serial port and I haven't - lol!)

Thanks guys, I will have another look, having thought about it over night I do wonder whether the crossover cable I am using is okay, I will use the one from my internet connection this time as I know that works!
The one that you use for the internet will be a straight through one which wont work unless you are going through a router
if connecting box directley to the pc network card you must use a ethernet crossover cable follow use flashfxp follow AL's instructions in post 9 how to set it up ad connect to the box

In which case I think that answers my question really. I was sure I flashed my box originally using the yellow cable but now I think about it, would it have been a blue one? I have got your guide fergalsworld so I will get the correct cable and start over. Thanks for your time everyone, sorry to have been such a numpty - lesson learnt hopefully!!

Just to let you know I am all sorted now. Thanks to all those who offered help and advice, much appreciated.

Back