Flashed For Speeding In 30mph Zone

Gunner786

Inactive User
Reaction score
I think ive been flashed by a speed camera today,
it was downhill and my speed just slipped over 30 into about 34-38 cos i let the foot off the brake for a second or two cos was geting tired of holding it down non stop for a good mile downhill.
when i approached the camera i realsied i was doing around 35 when i went past those white lines they have.
by the time i approached the camera i was doing about 30 anyway after i suddenly braked.
but im thinking that what if i was flashed can i take the speed awareness course and avoid the points and fine?
cos i think it will be pretty harsh getting flashed for going over the limit by just a couple of mph.

basically when i went over the line i was doing around 35 and when i got to the camera i was under 30 again.
so did i get flashed?

been a bad day for me driving wise

it was downhill and my speed just slipped over 30 into about 34-38 cos i let the foot off the brake for a second or two cos was geting tired of holding it down non stop for a good mile downhill.
when i approached the camera i realsied i was doing around 35 when i went past those white lines they have.
by the time i approached the camera i was doing about 30 anyway after i suddenly braked.
but im thinking that what if i was flashed can i take the speed awareness course and avoid the points and fine?
cos i think it will be pretty harsh getting flashed for going over the limit by just a couple of mph.

basically when i went over the line i was doing around 35 and when i got to the camera i was under 30 again.
so did i get flashed?

PMSL no you can't avoid the fine its £80 and no points if you take the course

why are you asking us if you got flashed? Was there a flash? You tell us!!!

in a 30mph limit i dont think it would flash going 34 maybe 35 but assuming the camera was working properly and had film in it anything above 35 i believe you would be flashed.

I remember watching a police documentary where they said they allow 10% +1 over the limit but that was for the handheld radar not sure about speed cameras.

Last edited:
Highly unlikely that if your speedo said 35mph that you were actually doing that, probably more like a true speed of 30mph and then there is a an error allowance on the speed camera (I think so anyway).

if ur speedo says ur doing 35 then ur actually doing around 33 or 32

because they design speedos to be slightly higher than the actual speed

that way if ur speedo said ur doing 40 in a 30 zone u would know about it .etc

like when u use tomtom it tells u ur speed which is usually a little less than speedo

i think u got away with it

so did i get flashed?

hope you get away with it m8. They have a bad habit of putting speed cameras on a downhill section, knowing its likely that your vehicle will pick up a little extra speed putting you over the limit. Nearly got caught out myself a couple of weeks back in a 30mph limit.

if ur speedo says ur doing 35 then ur actually doing around 33 or 32

because they design speedos to be slightly higher than the actual speed

that way if ur speedo said ur doing 40 in a 30 zone u would know about it .etc

like when u use tomtom it tells u ur speed which is usually a little less than speedo

i think u got away with it

you know Ive often wondered that about speedos as the sat nav speed is always different from the car speed by a couple of mph

so the sat nave should be right and the car speedo wrong :)

The Sat Nav is correct, the speedo's are intentionally wrong as air on the side of caution.

If you have been clocked at about 35 the chances of getting on the speed awareness course is slim. I know round my area 32-35 is the course over that its the points and fine

I just got caught doing 35mph in a work pickup, they have offered me the speed awarenes course tho so wont get the points. Only £67 instead of £60 and 3 points. First time in 7 years I have been flashed tho :(

Isn't the camera supposed to flash twice if you are actually speeding. The second flash is when you reach the end of the white lines (if you are still exceeding the limit)

I remember watching a police documentary where they said they allow 10% +1 over the limit but that was for the handheld radar not sure about speed cameras.

actually its 10% + 3

My brother is in the force ad told me a few things about the camera, plus an ex cop (one of my fathers friend) said that road cameras shouldnt go off unless your going 38+ in a 30 zone.

Regarding spedos, sat nav is closer to your speed, plus if you have a ford you can see your spedo through the digital display and its always slower than the needle.

actually its 10% + 3

My brother is in the force ad told me a few things about the camera, plus an ex cop (one of my fathers friend) said that road cameras shouldnt go off unless your going 38+ in a 30 zone.

Regarding spedos, sat nav is closer to your speed, plus if you have a ford you can see your spedo through the digital display and its always slower than the needle.

lol ive got mine super calibrated

so my needle is 1mph over my actual speed

Well you can check: http://www.i-database.co.uk/

i was told once that sometimes the camera's flash to calibrate themselfs no matter what speed your doing

Last edited:
Well you can check: http://www.i-database.co.uk/

i was told once that sometimes the camera's flash to calibrate themselfs no matter what speed your doing

actually that happened to me once at 1 am, coming through a rough area were there is 2 speed cameras on the one side about 400 yards apart and even though i was going 28-29 mph and the road was quiet, they both went off, that was almost 2 years agoand i never recieved anything.

haha very funny lmao, u had me for a second then. i was going to say how was i in Cambridge as ive never been there nice 1

LOL
:pimp:

The picture was a good likeness? :Laugh:

Hi
Sorry about your prob but you could be lucky
There was an uproar a while back
Cos not all councils set their cameras at the same magin
i.e some ste to flash at 31mph others up to 38mph
Not sure if it was ever sorted
Also a friend got flashed on our way to London with no letter sent
After i checked into it on the net
my findings was that the cameras used have more flash than film