fixed my first LCD :) and got a free telly

digidude

Sheep worrier.
VIP Member
Reaction score
back in the summer i did a 2 day course on how LCDs and plasmas screens work and the basics of what can go wrong with them. a job today was to replace a 15" LCD in a bedroom, the customer had the new TV there so it was just 15 mins to take old one off the bracket and put the new one on and tune it all in.

the customer said that the sound on the tv was fine, but there was no picture, and if i wanted the telly i could have it as she was going to bin it

so i took it home and took the back off, and inside there was a small surface mounted fuse, checked it and it had blown, took it off, soldered a very fine bit of copper braid across the pads and yay, its working :):)

2 scarts, svhs and composite input, PC input, wideband tuner and stereo audio outputs

not bad for a bin rescue, im well chuffed with myself :proud:

just thought id share it woth you all

back to work now lol

well done mate,

tho ide pop to ya local electrical parts shop and get a fuse, just to be on the safe side..

it blew for a reason

well done mate,

tho ide pop to ya local electrical parts shop and get a fuse, just to be on the safe side..

it blew for a reason
Good advice neorage. The fuse can blow for any reason, even a surge when the adverts come on and shed loads of viewers decide to put the kettle on.
On the other hand and more usual is that another component isn't performing to its' specifications so the fuse does its' intended job and blows, i.e excess current.
Replacing this with copper braid is a no no and could even possibly lead to a fire.
Always replace a fuse with the type and rating specified by the manafacturer, these are always marked as safety components.

Chookey

yep ive ordered an SMD fuse from ebay to replace it

its on the inverter board, so rung a friend who does repairs and it looks like its a really common thing that repair places charge a small fortune to fix, especially on bigger sets. he said that due to the high voltages for the back lights, a ripple in the supply can blow the fuse without anything actually going wrong, if the fuse didnt blow then it would have blown one of the tubes instead

im not going to use it untill the new fuse is fitted, but im still chuffed that i got it going :)

well done mate how do u go about getting onto one of these courses? where abouts are they held?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

id say if you fell out a window you would go upwards, fair play to you though

well done mate,

it blew for a reason

exactly i was going to post the same thing, you should get the exact same fuse and then replace it.... because you would not want your house burning down incase there is other problems with this machine.

but nice job its great when you fix something that seems dead ;)

Regards
Mickie D

just replaced the fuse, and all is still good :)

also noticed while i had the back off that the model number started with 17, so got the tape measure out, and its a 17" and not a 15 like i had thought

just replaced the fuse, and all is still good :)

also noticed while i had the back off that the model number started with 17, so got the tape measure out, and its a 17" and not a 15 like i had thought

Ach you'll not be wanting it then...I'll take it off yer hands for a 6-pack! ;)

the 6 pack you're shaking in your avvy, or a fosters one m8?

lol

Back