Fishing at Dover Pier!!

mobad

Inactive User
Reaction score
Just wanted to say what an amazing time I had today fishing at Dover's pier.
This was my first ever experience and what a day it was too.

Firstly we didnt have a clue but my mate had fished before (later I found out the last time he did was at 8 years of age).
We bought a set of rods and bait hooks for £40 each and was set to fish ( I guess we paid £5-£10 too dear but had no choice being there without rods).

So we got to the pier at around 8:45am and started to fish, my mate helped me set my rod off and for 1 hour we had the line keep getting loose, no distance on the throw and basically nothing.
In the end some 1 had to show us the correct way and I got some assistance from the life guard.

Once I knew the technique we caught between us 37 Mackerels.
Great first experience and next time I go should be better prepared to get a wider variety of fish.

I never thought I would like fishing but its a cool hobby!!

come on then get the barby going for the fish yummmmy
glad you enjoyed it ,not my thing tho

ive always fancyed it but i have never done it.
i expect you had a great day m8 ,with the weather we are having . hope you had a couple of cold ones with you????????
i might just give it a go one day.

dave:Clap::Clap:

Well to be honest I could never imagine myself fishing.
My friend really wanted to go so I thought this time round just go for a day out kind of thing.

I wasnt ready for anything, just knew the location and a rod/bait shop.
The weather turned out to be really hot and I ended up getting sun burnt and tanned (neck still paining today from the burns).
I didnt have no cold ones but luckily there was a small cafe on the other side of the pier and 3 hours into fishing I must of gone to get some drinks.

Really enjoyed it though. Once you get the hang of things and learn the technique its pretty much forward from then on.

The main aim of this hobby is patience though.

never been fishing in my life,don't think you can count catching sticklebacks with a net from the toy shop lol

few of my m8's are well into it though so may tag along worth them one day :)
think Id prefer fishing by a lake though and just chilling by the waters edge relaxing

glad you enjoyed it m8,seems you found yourself a new hobby :)

M8 I really do think this may be a new hobby for me.
Also think your right about the lake.
I only went to the pier as I was told youl defo get fish and it was the first time.

Next time when I go theres some place in Dover that has lake fishing and thats where ill take a tent, cold drinks and an mp3 player.

Can't beat sitting round a lake m8,even if you dont get a thing its the peace n quite i love.
but don't forget you need a license for course fishing but you can buy it for a day/week or the year where has you dont for sea fishing.

glad u enjoyed your day fishing, its a great hobby. and i particularly like this time of the year for the mackerel, they are good fun.

but dont make the mistake of thinking that this will be how it is everytime you go fishing. mackerel fishing is like shooting fish in a barrel, and is not a true representation of what fishing is like.

glad u enjoyed your day fishing, its a great hobby. and i particularly like this time of the year for the mackerel, they are good fun.

but dont make the mistake of thinking that this will be how it is everytime you go fishing. mackerel fishing is like shooting fish in a barrel, and is not a true representation of what fishing is like.

I agree, most people who go sea fishing only catch mackerel so they can be used as bait,but i remember when i first started i just wanted to catch fish and it did not matter what sort of fish and i remember feeling very pleased with what i did catch like you do right now, if you are going sea fishing again try to find out what weaver fish look like so if you catch one you know not to handle it, weaver fish dont bite they sting you and its ment to be very painfull.

Glad you had a great day mobad. Mackerel fishing brings me memories of a long time ago fishing at Carrickfergus harbour....I loved every minute of it during school holidays and pretty much went every other day...if the mackerel were in that is. I then tried fly fishing and that was my hobby up until a few years ago when I gave up. Sometimes it ust didnt matter if you didnt catch fish as just walking alongside the river or sitting at the lake was great.

btw...mackerel is one of my favorite fish to eat.

Firstly we didnt have a clue but my mate had fished before (later I found out the last time he did was at 8 years of age).
We bought a set of rods and bait hooks for £40 each and was set to fish ( I guess we paid £5-£10 too dear but had no choice being there without rods).

So we got to the pier at around 8:45am and started to fish, my mate helped me set my rod off and for 1 hour we had the line keep getting loose, no distance on the throw and basically nothing.
In the end some 1 had to show us the correct way and I got some assistance from the life guard.

Great first experience and next time I go should be better prepared to get a wider variety of fish.

And in you next thread you will be telling us about the one that got away," IT WAS THIS BIG!!!!!" lol
I used to go mackerel fishing by fishguard lighthouse 6 hooks with strips of tin foil on then, the doopy fish will chase anything that shines, try that next time

Its start of summer m8 youll catch mackrel all day how ever you wont catch much else this time of year maybe small cod pollock dog fish the odd eel and flounder but you wont catch out big and maybe nothing at all.

mackrel spinning is great fun but im afraid if you want to start fishing for propper fish you need to go out in winter as thats the best time to catch them nice big cod etc

book a boat and see if you can hack the swells thats fun belive me youll be buzzing pulling of 6 pound fattys

freeze your mackrel for bait.

If you want a chance of catching decent fish of a pier use blood worm mixed with chuncks of fresh peeler crab.

If you get into fishing gis a pm I have a shed load of decent rods and reels I
including a nice scorpion beach and rock rod with a abu garcia green beach multiplyer

also i will give you advice if you like on setting up boons flounder trails etc

I was a avid fisher for 12 year till the novelty wor off :eater:

Thanx guys for all the replies.

Yeah I guess with the mackerel, it became fairly easy to catch although as some you did say, as a first experience catching any type of fish was the main aim.

Next time I go I hope to get a variaty.
From what I understand - in dover there are 3-4 spots to fish and each spot has different types of fishes.
Any 1 know much about the other fishing spots?

Back