first car

huggi

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi all i passed my driving test the other day, and today i have brought my first car.my question is what tools,bit and pieces should i get? tyre pump etc...

thanks

What car did you get?

If you have a jack and a brace, thats all you need really.

Some gloves and cloths, I would say also :)

hi all i passed my driving test the other day, and today i have brought my first car.my question is what tools,bit and pieces should i get? tyre pump etc...

thanks

well done mate :)

Depends on how much your comfortable with doing ?

I got a halfords pro set, the £200 one (wait till its half price £99) :) if you want to do servicing yourself.

Otherwise, just make sure the cars got its own jack and wheel brace (locking wheel nut if applicable) so you can change wheels etc

if there's alloys and they have locknuts on them make sure you have whatever you need to open them with you in case you get a puncture :)

best of luck and happy driving :)

i think it came with the insurance m8 (better double check) but it should have the price the fookas charged me £1900!!!

thanks

1st off mate congratulations , there should be some tools in ya boot along with a spare tyre, as long as u have them mate , along with a 1st aid kit tourch and maybe a small fire extinguisher , just in case

Set of jump leads are always handi Huggi. Well done on passing your test.

Congrats on passing your test mate,all you really need is your moby and a lot of money !!!

Just get some breakdown assistance :)

Took the words right out of my mouth! Don't spend any hard earned cash on tools, just get breakdown cover!

The essentials should come with the car!

I've broke down many times before and always had a great response from the AA. They've even stuck my van on a low loader in the far north of Scotland and dropped it off at my local garage before dropping me home (100 mile trip). Further a field I've suffered a broken windscreen driving through France on my way to Spain, replaced overnight and on my way the next day!

If you do a lot of driving, its well worth the money!

Always keep spare oil in the garage. you never know when you might need to top up

washer fluid, some oil (don't know about the zafira but my ford diesel needs topping up every couple of months). Tools wise, hold fire for now, just depends on what you are comfortable doing.

For the car, do you have a spare or is it one of the foam expanding shit. Make sure you know how to change a wheel before you have to do it for real on a dark rainy night stuck in the middle of nowhere and you find you don't know where to jack up the car. Also one of those extending tyre irons for undoing the bolts can be had pretty cheap.

Safety wise, folding triangle, first aid kit and high viz vest can all be got for a few quid.

Oh and don't forget the sat nav and magic tree lol

1st off mate congratulations , there should be some tools in ya boot along with a spare tyre, as long as u have them mate , along with a 1st aid kit tourch and maybe a small fire extinguisher , just in case

bloody hell biffo , do you drive through a war zone daily lol

I always have a foot pump with a gauge, I check my tyre pressure once a fortnight just in case, congrats by the way on passing I can still remember the good feeling when I passed! sounds like you have a decent 1st car mine was a rover metro! lol and I had to get rid because the cylinder head went!

washer fluid, some oil (don't know about the zafira but my ford diesel needs topping up every couple of months). Tools wise, hold fire for now, just depends on what you are comfortable doing.

For the car, do you have a spare or is it one of the foam expanding shit. Make sure you know how to change a wheel before you have to do it for real on a dark rainy night stuck in the middle of nowhere and you find you don't know where to jack up the car. Also one of those extending tyre irons for undoing the bolts can be had pretty cheap.

Safety wise, folding triangle, first aid kit and high viz vest can all be got for a few quid.

Oh and don't forget the sat nav and magic tree lol

He will be fine, he has got all the tools he needs as he is one ;)

I second Ianb. Get a set of good quality jump leads . Not the £5 type, pay about £15 for a set.
It's coming up to winter and i know i'll get loads of calls to go and start guys with flat battery's.
Remember if your only doing short runs ,it takes more out of the battery to start your car than the alternator will put back in

well done m8 now drive carefully,now that you have your car,open the bonnet and have handbook open to show you what goes where,and water does not go into brake fluid reservoir or power steering,make a note of what grade of engine oil used is it 5w-30?? and check oil regularly,foot pumps are old skool,use the mini compressor one that plugs into fag lighter,i see the car is diesel beware of putting wrong fuel [ petrol ] in as i have seen in many times,jump leads were mentioned yes heavy quality with insulated claws and now is a good time to see where + and - are on battery.i have seen a red earth lead on an opel and booster cables on wrong sparks and smoke galore:proud:
expanding wheel brace is good for tight wheel nuts as it gives more leverage and also note some nuts can go on wrong way around cone shape to wheel to centralize it,mini jacks are available and quicker to get car up and down with less stress.
last of all as said breakdown assist and a number to ring in case you do and hopefully charged and in credit.:Clap::Clap:

well done mate :)

Depends on how much your comfortable with doing ?

I got a halfords pro set, the £200 one (wait till its half price £99) :) if you want to do servicing yourself.

Otherwise, just make sure the cars got its own jack and wheel brace (locking wheel nut if applicable) so you can change wheels etc

Spot on, And you get lifetime warranty on all the sockets, so if you happen to break one or two then its all good as you'll get it repaired for nout.

This sets got everything a DIY needs to be honest for general maintenance.

Back