Firmware version - how to tell

bammy

Inactive User
Reaction score
First post in this section - I've got hold of a ntl cable modem at a boot sale. I've had a read around and discovered I need to stop the firmware updating in order to change the MAC. My question is, how do I check to see what firmware version is already on the modem (i.e. to see if it's already updated)?

plug the modem in, not the cable feed, just the etherent and power cable
and type

192.168.100.1 into ure net browser

user = root
pass = root

if u see an ntl logo on the page, then it has update on it :(

if u just see writing but no ntl picture logo, then it dont have an update

(once u plug in modem, will take 1min or so before that link becomes active)

johnsmith said:
plug the modem in, not the cable feed, just the etherent and power cable
and type
192.168.100.1 into ure net browser
user = root
pass = root
if u see an ntl logo on the page, then it has update on it :(
if u just see writing but no ntl picture logo, then it dont have an update
(once u plug in modem, will take 1min or so before that link becomes active)

If you plug it in to the feed it will update ................

you can tell by having the rs 232 and no feed or do the non update mod first.

u musta misread me jasper, i siaid, do not plug the cable feed in :p

OK another question - I've also got a Motorola which I bought yonks ago and then realised it was a telewest modem so never did anything with it. can these be used in C&W feeds? Does the same hold true for these units regarding the firmware check? It's a SB5100i if that makes any difference.

have only heard of 1 person getting a moto modem working in excw at the mo he's using a sb5100e with sigma x 1.06. It looks like the the IDOCSIS modems have different tuners an as a result wont work in EDOCSIS areas which is what excw is. Their is some info over @ tcniso about converting the Docsis standard through telnet commands but the only succes has been converting an EDOCSIS modem to work in IDOCSIS area not the other way round, think its because EDOCSIS scans frequencies at a higher range so its easier to make it scan lower freqs where as the IDOCSIS modems dont have the capability of scanning these higher ranges.

er - right, that just flew right over my head so I think I'll retire that one to the bin!!

Back