Firefox fanbase reaches new high

Zooropa

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
More than 10% of net users are going online with the Firefox browser, show figures from analysis firm One Stat.

The global average of 11.5% is the highest percentage of users that the open source browser has ever reached.

The research also reveals that Americans are the biggest fans of Firefox with 14.1% using it. In the UK 4.9% use it to get around online.

Despite the success, Microsoft's Internet Explorer still dominates the net with an 85.5% market share.

The figures, gathered from a sample of more than two million web users, show that Firefox's market share has grown by almost three percentage points since April 2005.

UK BROWSER SHARES
1) Microsoft Internet Explorer - 93.37%
2) Mozilla Firefox - 4.94 %
3) Apple Safari - 0.99 %
4) Opera - 0.39 %
5) Netscape - 0.23 %
One Stat said that some of this growth has come at the expense of Microsoft's browser, but it has also stolen users from other browsers such as Opera and Netscape. One Stat also reported that users of Apple's Safari browser for the Mac was also recording good growth figures.

It is thought that continuing news stories about security problems in Internet Explorer are helping to fuel the move away from Microsoft's program.

One Stat's figures are at the upper end of all estimates for the success of Firefox. By contrast analysis firm Net Applications gave the browser a 9% market share according to figures gathered in October.

In recent months, browsers, toolbars and the technology around them have become the new front line in the war between the web's biggest companies - Microsoft, Google and Yahoo - to grab and keep hold of users.

New browsers are also continuing to appear. Most recently a browser called Flock launched that tries to make it easier for users to manage what they do on the web, such as remember places of interest and store pictures, in one place.

I use Firefox at the moment and if IE7 is any better I will go back to IE.

The-Dogs-Nutts said:
i use IE7, works fine for me..............

I will wait for the official version to be released.

rock said:
I will wait for the official version to be released.

been using it for what must be 6 months now and only had one problem with updates when it first came out but the microsoft site was updated a few days after and everything has been fine since. You can also uninstall it if dont like it but I'd doubt that

Been using firefox for ages now, never found a problem with it.
I've got so used to tabbed browsing the way FF is that I can't see me going back to IE

Same here m8............ Cant see me goin back to IE now :)

Back