filesharing

nemesis1975

Inactive User
Reaction score
ive just gone wireless cos ive bought a new laptop ive set pc up wirelessly aswell what i want to know is there an idiots guide to file sharing anywhere so i can access files on my pc using my laptop.

I take it your wireless connection is working. i.e. you can ping each computer from different machines? to do this on the first computer go start, run, cmd, ipconfig.
note down the ip address example 192.168.1.1

go to the other computer and do the same thing, then from the second computer go start, run, cmd, ping 192.168.1.1 or the actual ip address you have.
if you get reply then your connection looks good, as described above just right click the folder you want to share and select sharing and security.

Not the c drive as this can be a security issue.

Hope this helps

Capdan

capdan said:
I take it your wireless connection is working. i.e. you can ping each computer from different machines? to do this on the first computer go start, run, cmd, ipconfig.
note down the ip address example 192.168.1.1

go to the other computer and do the same thing, then from the second computer go start, run, cmd, ping 192.168.1.1 or the actual ip address you have.
if you get reply then your connection looks good, as described above just right click the folder you want to share and select sharing and security.

Not the c drive as this can be a security issue.

Hope this helps

Capdan
yes i can ping and ive right clicked and set the folders to share on the pc but ive no idea what to do on the laptop to veiw the shared files.

ok, if you have your pc with an ip address like 192.168.1.1 and your laptop is 192.168.1.2. All you have to do to see the share is go start,run,cmd \\192.168.1.2 this will show what shares are available from the pc to the laptop and vice verse.

Now once you see the shares you can create a mapped network drive, which will be easier to access, to do this go, my computer, select tools from the tool bar, select map network drive and you will have two options
1 select drive letter, this is just a vertual drive, chose anything
2 select share i.e copy and paste what you tiped in the run command to access the folder you wanted i.e \\192.168.1.1\whatever_the_folder_is_called

now when you go in to my computer you will see the drive available.

Hope this helps

Capdan

capdan said:
now when you go in to my computer you will see the drive available.

Hope this helps

Capdan
even better now thanx great instructions capdan now i can go straight to shared drive in my coputer.

Back