File via VLC

neathdrew

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi

Anyone managed to stream divx / avi files from pc through dbox to tv using file via vlc?

I guess they would have to be encoded to pal - most of my films are ntsc.

recorded ts files play ok thru movieplayer but there's no software to convert avi files to ts..

any help appreciated

I have managed to set up VLC no problem but i think the quality of the playback is pretty bad. IE the encoding of the xvid/divx just shows up on the dbox for some reason. TS files play superbly obviously because the quality is there and they have not been encoded.

I just play them back on the xbox. It seems to play them much better. THink its cos it plays them via mplayer.

You need to set up the vlc on the pc as streaming server but if you have an xbox with xbmc then i would not bother.

thanks johnbhoy

i seem to have a prob setting up vlc all i get is "connect failed".

ive got stream server on
not too sure about the rest of the settings...

neathdrew said:
Hi

Anyone managed to stream divx / avi files from pc through dbox to tv using file via vlc?

I guess they would have to be encoded to pal - most of my films are ntsc.

recorded ts files play ok thru movieplayer but there's no software to convert avi files to ts..

any help appreciated
Many images work best with VLC 0.72. Later versions can cause problems.

The way it works is that VLC encoded the XVID/DIVX file to MPEG in real-time for playback on the Dbox. Problem is that it can only encode to PAL, so while 23.976 NTSC works reasonably well, the 29.97 fps variety is a no-go'er.

You can convert AVI files to TS using any standard MPEG2 encoder, like TMPGenc, Cinema Craft, ProCoder, etc, as the specs are virtually the same as DVD, actually they're slightly more flexible. Once you have encoded your MPEG2 file, run it through ProjectX or PVAstrumento, and you will have a TS file in seconds... maybe minutes :) You're still stuck with the PAL issue, but being able to convert to interlaced means you can make a pretty good NTSC->PAL conversion, certainly far better than what VLC does on the fly. Also, most NTSC files are 23.976 fps, so it's usually not that big a problem.

Thanks senor

i use TMPGEnc for encoding is there a template for the ts settings? or are they the same as dvd pal setting ie 720x576 - 25fps - 15max GOP etc

also i've got PVAStrumento the only option there i can see is to produce a ps file. Are these the same? and you just have to change the extension?

thanks

neathdrew said:
Thanks senor

i use TMPGEnc for encoding is there a template for the ts settings? or are they the same as dvd pal setting ie 720x576 - 25fps - 15max GOP etc

also i've got PVAStrumento the only option there i can see is to produce a ps file. Are these the same? and you just have to change the extension?

thanks
Yes, you can use a standard DVD template.

Sorry, just checked PVAstrument, and it doesn't have a TS option after all, only for demuxing. ProjectX does, though. I don't think you can just rename a PS file, but you could try.

Back