Fiesta edge alternator

dar1437

Worldz Biggest Oddball
VIP Member
Reaction score
I think my alternator may be on the way out? A few weeks back on a dark icy morning, while waiting for it to defrost, i noticed the lights occasionally dimming and the fan speed changing. Then last week the battery light came on whilst driving. Was ok for a week, then yesterday on again and this morning. I managed ro get a garage to take a quick look today, abd he said that it all seemed ok on his quick test (but the light had gone out by the time i got it to him)
I'm guessing its working intermittently?

Anyway, is it worth buying a second hand one in readiness, or should i wait till it goes and weigh in for a new one?

Also, what sort of price will i be looking at regarding second hand one/ new one and the fitting cost?

Cheers,
Dar :)

get it checked as it may just be a slipping belt, bad earths are common on fords as well

Dont put it on the long finger as winter is here and altenator needs to be in top notch for charging as lights,blower,heated rear window etc will have a massive drain on it,newer fords can have a fault code error and might need a scan for checking with a battery issue.

Check the battery. It could be draining over night. It could only be the battery at fault.How old is the battery?.

Is the battery showing around 12volts when the car engine is not running?.Is it showing around 13v when the car is running?.

Is the battery showing around 12volts when the car engine is not running?.Is it showing around 13v when the car is running?.
The lad at the garage said it was all showing A OK.
I was off yesterday, so i had a good long drive about and touch wood, it seemed ok. Fingers crossed :)

Do you use it much?. Perhaps a good long drive up the motorway will boost your battery up?.🤔😉

Do you use it much?. Perhaps a good long drive up the motorway will boost your battery up?.🤔😉
I do around 12 miles a day Mig.
I'm hoping that it was just a slightly dodgy connection, which the guy put right whilst fiddling about? Lol

has the wiring been checked does the light go on if these are shaken a little

When you got the battery replaced were diagnostics checked after to clear faults?

Might not be any harm in getting codes faults checked and cleared if battery was slow to swing engine over,modern electronics are over looked with a battery replacement thinking out with the old in with the new and forget about it.
I had a peugeot in a month ago with light on and was charging nicely, stupid fanbelt tensioner had worn and going sideways resulted in the electronics picked up a minute error and putting on the warnings.There was a recall on them covered under warranty.

Well any update or are you waiting for it to get worse?

Back