Tech News FBI urges internet users to reboot their routers to stop Russia-linked malware

fus10n

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Might not be relevant to europe but still news.!

The same group that hacked the Democratic National Committee ahead of the 2016 presidential election is now taking aim at the internet routers of everyday Americans, and the FBI put out an urgent message on Friday in the hopes of stopping it. The instructions are fairly simple: switch your router off, then turn it back on.....

Read full story here.

factory reset to get rid

vulnerable routers
Linksys: E1200, E2500, WRVS4400N

Mikrotik: 1016, 1036, 1072

Netgear: DGN2200, R6400, R7000, R8000, WNR1000, WNR2000

QNAP: TS251, S439 Pro, other QNAP NAS devices running QTS software

TP-Link: R600VPN

That cat looks a bit dodgy....

Why would they want you (Americans) to reboot it though?

Change IP
Maybe ISP's have forced an update on them but they need a manual reboot to clear it?
other?

Mick

Why would they want you (Americans) to reboot it though?

Change IP
Maybe ISP's have forced an update on them but they need a manual reboot to clear it?
other?

Mick

I think the malware gets installed to the routers ram. So they are asking users to completely reboot (back to factory defaults) then reset up again.

That makes sense...

But on the other hand if they put it on there with the current firmware it will just happen again?
Do they not need a firmware update with the hole plugged?

Mick

That makes sense...

But on the other hand if they put it on there with the current firmware it will just happen again?
Do they not need a firmware update with the hole plugged?

Mick

I believe that the loop hole was closed in routers updates, but i've not really kept up to date on this

Back