Favourite martial arts flicks?

elniro

Inactive User
Reaction score
I go through martial arts film phases every so often (its like a cycle lol). I just watched Forbidden Kingdom so i'm back on watching martial arts films, it was great seeing two of my most favourite current martial arts filmstars on the same film, and Jackie Chan brought back memories of Drunken master.

So i was wondering what are your favourite martial arts films and why.

Mine off the top of my head are:

Drunken master - Probably Jackie Chan's best film, he is damn amazing doing the drunken style.
Encounters of the spooky kind - Sammo Hung's very own "horror comedy martial arts" film. Entertaining fight scenes and funny.
Ong-bak and Warrior King - Tony Jaa is just plain raw with his Muay Thai style. Plus doing his own amazing stunts is always a plus.
Enter the dragon - The film which created a martial arts craze in the Western world and made Bruce Lee the most famous martial arts filmstar.
Fists of Fury - In my opinion Bruce Lee's best film.
Five deadly venoms - Being called a hit kung fu classic is kind of an understatement here

and i guess i should also put the Rush Hour films just because it was so entertaining and funny as hell, but standard martial arts which is typical of films made in Hollywood with all their insurance worries

Also does anyone know good places to buy kung fu films for cheap? (i dont just mean the modern films but the classic ones from 1970s and early 1980s such as Shaw Brothers films, etc)

dont watch them any more, but when i was a youngster

Enter the dragon
Best of the Best
Kickboxer
Karate Kid 1,2 ect

anything with jean claud would get watched

they look right crap when i see them now though (jean claud ones)

I have seen many many Hong-Kong Cinema films, and also Tartan films, favourites would have to be:

Enter the Dragon

House of Flying Daggers

Crouching tiger, hidden Dragon

Hero

Ichi the Killer

not to big of a fan but Enter the dragon was a good flick but dont remember the last time i watched on

I still collect kung-fu films. I have around 50 in my VHS collection and many more in my DVD collection which I still haven't started on properly. Once my home theatre is finished I'm going to go beserk and buy all of the classics.

Some of my favourites so far as classics go are

Snake In the Eagles Shadow
Drunken Master
Thundering Mantis
Snake in the Monkeys Shadow
Iron Monkey
Once Upon a Time in China
Shaolin vs Lama

Some of my recent favourites are

Kung Fu Hustle
Dragon Tiger Gate
Drunken Tai Chi
Ong Bak
Shaolin Intruders
The Magnificent Pole Fighter (Pan Media version)
Legend of Fong Sai Yuk

Make sure that you watch Kung Pow the comedy, it is rather funny. Also Story if Ricky is funny but pretty poor and very violent.

Have you seen the Shogun Assassin series? Babycart at the River Styx and onwards? This series is a must see!

So far as the classics go have you seen all of the Kurosawa stuff? Seven Samurai is one of the best films ever made in any genre. Yo Jimbo is not too far off either.

Aside from Way of the Dragon I personally think Bruce Lee's films were pretty boring with great/good fight scenes.

Drunken master
Five deadly venoms
these r differnately my favorite, and throw in kung fu hustle for a good laugh lol

Wheels on Meals - Jackie Chan
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhXwPQU1iNo[/ame]

Fei ying gai wak (1991) - Jackie Chan
... aka Armour of God II
... aka Armour of God II: Operation Condor (Hong Kong: English title)
... aka Fei ying ji hua (China: Mandarin title)
... aka Operation Condor (USA)
... aka Operation Eagle
... aka Project Eagle
... aka Superfly (Philippines: English title)

All the early Jackie Chan films before the annoying Rush Hours...

Kung Fu Hustle
Ong Bak
Elephant King

my favourite at the moment is Warrior king, the moves in there are awesome.
Project A starring jackie chan is an oldie but goodie.

I still collect kung-fu films...

lol ditto mate - got loads of the old school martial arts films - some of my favourite Chinese ones are Born Invincible and the first Drunken Master film.

And when it comes to the old school Japanese swordsman and ninja stuff... the Shogun Assasin films are my faves.

Plus I like a lot of the Japanese manga stuff too... Fist Of The North Star still gets rinsed regularly on our TV! And some of the new anime stuff like Afro Samurai too.

Oh man where do I start, i have 100s of martial arts movies.

my faves are

Legend of Drunken Master - The fight scenes are amazing
Fist Of Legend - My Fave Jet Li film - awesome
Police Story - The stunts are crazy
City Hunter - really funny Street Fighter Scene where Jackie plays CHun Li
Warroir King and Ong Bak - Tony Jaa is my new Fav Martial Artist on the block

I could go on and on.......

Back