Family cars nicked for scrap

DiamondGeezer

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Family cars nicked for scrap

THOUSANDS of family cars are being stolen, crushed and sold for scrap by millionaire criminal gangs.

Motorists wake to find their cars gone after being loaded onto trucks overnight.

The vehicles are crushed into cubes in three minutes before being shipped to China, where they are sold for £200 a ton of steel.

The thefts are fuelled by the metal’s soaring price – which has DOUBLED in 18 months as the Chinese build dozens of skyscrapers.

Gangs in West London, Hertfordshire and the Thames Valley have made millions, say police.

Some are raking in £30,000 a month – and once a car is crushed police find it almost impossible to trace it to an owner.

About 150 cops raided 30 scrap yards yesterday as part of an operation designed to thwart the trade.

Nine people were arrested for handling stolen goods and two nicked cars were found.

Superintendent Matt Gardner said thefts of secondhand cars in Harrow, North West London, had rocketed by 50 per cent.

He said: “There was a time when you would have to pay someone £50 to take away your car, now the steel in it is worth up to £200. This is what the criminals have latched on to.

"Vehicle theft is seen as a victimless crime, but these cars are being stolen from people with not a lot of money.”

He added: “We have seen a rise in thefts, whether it is a Rolls Royce, a Bentley or a Mark III Cortina.

“We are targeting the scrap yards because then the thieves have nowhere to take the cars.”

Police recently swooped on one scrap metal dealer in Hertfordshire and found that 32 of the 78 cars on his lot were nicked.

Advertisement

The man, who is facing charges, allegedly had £490,000 in an offshore account and £28,000 in cash.

The number of scrap metal firms has dramatically increased.

Many are run from home with just a pickup truck.

As well as cars, police in Harrow have also seen a rise in the theft of steel road grilles – and even a FOOTBRIDGE has vanished.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1347211.ece
[email protected]

Good money in scrap these days!! You can get £100 easy for a scrap family car these days - ive heard the dealers will pay upto 360 just for a catalytic converter these days1! Be prepared for the gangs with petrol skill saws to start chopping them off parked cars in a town near you soon!!!!!

I've heard on the news that there are people out there stealing the catalyic converters off cars, which usually sell around £200-£300.

I've heard on the news that there are people out there stealing the catalyic converters off cars, which usually sell around £200-£300.

yep had one nicked of my van a couple of months ago something to do with the platinum and various metals inside them .takes seconds to nick with the right tools

christ i wish i could find one of them

i scrapped a 5 grand car, with brand new 648 quid cat on it, one place offered me 85 quid for the whole car, i sold it earlier today for 200 quid :(

christ i wish i could find one of them

i scrapped a 5 grand car, with brand new 648 quid cat on it, one place offered me 85 quid for the whole car, i sold it earlier today for 200 quid :(

why would you scrap a 5 grand car for £200

why would you scrap a 5 grand car for £200

because in the 1 1/2 years ive had it, i spent another 3500 on repairs, by a robbing bastad franchise of a garage, evans halshaws (for the search bots :proud:), then took it to another daewoo dealer to be told that the fault is common in the model i had, itd cost in excess of another 2 grand to repair and the car was only worth 1.5k so is beyond economical repair

no i wasnt a happy shopper, but the cars not my problem any more :)

The p*keys are nicking the manhole covers from the roads round here.
Stupid bastards are leaving holes in the road. Well dangerous at night.

Back