Factory reset and upgrading to Windows 10

CrazyFool

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

I like to factory reset my laptop every couple of years because it somehow gets slow and laggy (side question: how do I prevent this? I run advanced system care 7 in the background and have aviva internet security)

My only problem this time is that I don't want to revert back to windows 8.

My question is, will I be able to upgrade up to windows 10 and how?
Will this be offered to me via windows update as before? I heard they shut down free upgrades.

Is there an easier way to do this rather than do a factory reset and install the hundreds of updates via windows update?

I prefer the factory reset because I don't want to lose the WiFi, track pad, battery drivers etc.

Thanks in advance

CF

Use the windows Download tool to upgrade to windows 10

Download Windows 10
you could do a reset instead. keeps docs etc

How to Reset Your Windows 10 PC

Thanks for the replys fellas.
I like the idea of resetting windows 10.
It does mention it will keep all the apps that came with the PC and that's exactly what I want.

When it says it will keep personal files, is their a particular directory? For example I have a lot of stuff in "C:/Downloads". A folder that my download client uses. Will this folder be safe?

Is their any advantage of still doing a factory reset and then manually upgrading to windows 10 by downloading the ISO?
I take it there will be no faff with product licenses etc if I go this route?
Will it wipe away apps that came with the PC?

Thanks again

CF

Any time I've done a reset its not wiped out any of my files but then i have mine on a separate drive. I think your downloads folder would be safe enough if you do a reset but not if you do a full blown reinstall. The apps that came with the pc would probably get wiped out but you should have a specific restore disk that came with the pc or a specific app on your pc to restore the pc to factory settings. Might be worth checking that out first?

No
Any time I've done a reset its not wiped out any of my files but then i have mine on a separate drive. I think your downloads folder would be safe enough if you do a reset but not if you do a full blown reinstall. The apps that came with the pc would probably get wiped out but you should have a specific restore disk that came with the pc or a specific app on your pc to restore the pc to factory settings. Might be worth checking that out first?

No app on the laptop and no separate disk I'm afraid.
The only option I have is to launch factory reset at boot.
There might have been some sort of command centre app when I first got the laptop ten years ago but I probably deleted it as bloatware.

I was under the impression that a reset would keep the apps that came with the laptop. That's what one of the screenshots say in the link above. Have I misunderstood?
Or would those apps not count as they came installed on windows 8 whereas we're now resetting windows 10?

Thanks again

If the computer asks to do a factory reset at boot then there is probably a restore partition on the hard drive. This should put it back to how you got it...but that might be windows 8 and not 10.

Yeah.
If the computer asks to do a factory reset at boot then there is probably a restore partition on the hard drive. This should put it back to how you got it...but that might be windows 8 and not 10.

I've done this before and its taken me to windows 8.
I just can't be bothered going through factory reset and upgrading to windows 10 again.

Do you know if there's a foolproof method to reset windows 10 and still keep the drivers etc?

It would make sense for "reset" to keep the apps that came with the PC as that's the whole point of "fresh start". It does a reset + removes all bloatware that came with the PC.

I just don't want to do a "reset" and find out i have no WiFi/trackpad/graphics/battery driver because those were drivers that were built into windows 8 and we're resetting windows 10 here.

It's been a while since I've done a reset but I think it has 2 choices. One a full windows reset removing everything but your documents or a windows reset leaving apps and documents. Have a look, you don't have to commit.

It's been a while since I've done a reset but I think it has 2 choices. One a full windows reset removing everything but your documents or a windows reset leaving apps and documents. Have a look, you don't have to commit.
The two options is to delete personal files or not to delete personal files.

I think it will delete apps but keep drivers.

Might be worth trying to source the proper drivers and back them up. Would be easier to do it when they are installed and can get details from device manager now?

Might be worth trying to source the proper drivers and back them up. Would be easier to do it when they are installed and can get details from device manager now?

Yeah.
I've had a play around with "reset"
it will definately remove all my drivers etc and it will be too much work trying to source everything again.
I think it would be faster to do a factory reset to Windows 8.

What is the fastest/easiest way to upgrade to windows 10 after this point while being able to keep all the apps that came preloaded?

Thanks

no quick way dude. Only way is to use the upgrade tool and that only as fast as the device your using!

once you've done this, why not create an image of your install using Macrium reflect and never have this problem again?>

Yeah, ok.
So I use the media creation tool to make me a win 10 upgrade ISO?
I can launch this as soon as I factory reset.

Would it be just as good if I used system restore to make a backup after I'm happy with my new Win 10?

Cheers

Yeah, ok.
So I use the media creation tool to make me a win 10 upgrade ISO?
I can launch this as soon as I factory reset.

Would it be just as good if I used system restore to make a backup after I'm happy with my new Win 10?

Cheers

Yeah what ever backup program you wish. Macrium reflect is free and quick.

Back