Facebook data breach

So what’s new? You use Facebook, you throw privacy out the door. If you’re not leaking stuff yourself, Facebook is doing it for you.

It’s a toxic website. Always has been.

I've never joined. Put it down to the face that I'm not very sociable lol

I gave up facebook a while back for several reasons, Data breach and another was we felt it was antisocial rather than social . And to be honest its not missed :)

I've never used mainstream social media (I suppose DW, as a forum, is under that type of umbrella but not really "social media"). A few people at work, managers and whatnot, love FB etc. Some of us vow never to use it.

With the increase of Big Data, or should that be "Bid Data" as it is usually sold? Anyone's data is valuable to someone. Your medical conditions, savings, spending habits are of interest to actuaries and all sorts.

Myself and a colleague compared our investments, accounts and holdings and concluded that Natwest had sold our details as we were getting similar invitations to stately homes for "investment seminars" and that sort of shit. He had recently put a large sum in a current account, three days later a nice heavy-paper, with watermark, invitation arrived.

One big problem (for me anyway) is that even if you're not signed up to Farcebook yourself, they still have a (shadow) profile of you.
I do use FB (sparingly) and I also advertise on it. To my surprise, someone whom I hardly know (and like even less) cropped up on my "People you might know". No common friends, we live 100+ miles apart.... the connection? I'd saved his phone number in my (Android) phone. Now I would never willingly offer up my contacts to a third party, but that's not to say no one else would. Including Google? Or him? Who knows? FB are very coy about how they acquire and use private data, > HERE < is an article I read earlier today.
I also use a browser extension called FBPurity which does a great job of hiding most of the sh*te (ad's, games, 'trending' etc. etc.) you don't want to see.

Here's the full list of information that hackers might have gotten if you're one of the unlucky 29 million impacted people:

• Username
  • Relationship status
  • Religion
  • Hometown
  • Self-reported current city
  • Birthdate
  • Device types used to access Facebook
  • Education
  • Work
  • The last 10 places you checked into or were tagged in
  • Website
  • People or Pages you follow
  • The 15 most recent searches
Here are all the types of personal info hackers stole from 29 million Facebook users, and why it's so frightening

I only know one other person that does this but does anyone else create special email addresses on their own domains to give to people like banks so they can tell where spam is coming from?

For instance I use natwest@[my domain].com as a contact email :). Haven't seen any spam from that particular one yet.

Back