F****....error code 13

logic_187

Inactive User
Reaction score
FFS......i have just tried to soft mod my xbox crystal using the hotswap method and i get error code 13 when i plug it in. I had no errors on the screen during the install and i have done this a few times before but on a normal black xbox without a problem

Is there any way to rectify this? or have i just f****** something i just bought a couple of days ago. I have had a look at the error message but cant find anything that indicates a way to fix it.

can any one advise?????

Error 13 - kernel - Dashboard launch fail (due to missing/bad key, or anything else that would prevent it from running) and the dashboard didn't specify why it failed.

The error it gives is because of the incompatibility between the (older) dashboard (4920) that older slayer cd installs and the new dashboard/kernel versions found in some new xbox's and found in xbox's that have been connected to xbox live (when you go on xbox-live, it'll upgrade your dashboard file to i believe it is now 5659.03. This dasboard is incompatible with the dash that (old) slayer cd installs (for example 2.5 or lower) for you.

(In detail, in the eeprom chip there is a kernel which is incompatible with the dashboard (4920) that slayer installs.)

So what do you do to fix it? You can use the dashupdate found on most new xbox games! Be sure to 1st unplug your ethernet cable before you do so!!!

Besides that, just use a good installation disc and all is fine. Use a 2.6 slayer or something similar

looking at didgis post i might be able to recover my xbox,

have tried to create a boot disc but does nought...which means i am doing something wrong......any pointers?

This is easily fixed... All you have done is installed the wrong kenral version for your xbox. This is quiet common if using old softmods.

What softmod are you using? I suggest using Ndure 3.0 with King Roaches softmod.

Last edited:
I had this probem before and as I didnt have any original xbox live games I could use the dash update to fix it so had to re-install softmod.

So if you have an original xbox live game then you can easily sort it out if not then use a newer softmod.

just tried halo2 and that didnt seem to fix it....got into the game ok but dash didnt work. Will look into the NDURE method

when you load up halo 2 if you go to xbox live it will come up with a message saying your kernel version needs updating and will install new dashboard then just reboot xbox and re-install softmod

i didnt get the option to install a new kernel/dash board when i went to xbox live...it said signin which i did and did F all

I think you need to sign up to xbox live first to do the update... See if anyone has a free 2day trial or something... Your best bet is just to re-install the softmod the way I said it wont take you long at all... Longest part is probably downloading the files.

does anybody know what option it is to return the xbox back to normal using xboxhd?? is it option 2??...according to an article i read i think this assumes you have the files on the cdrom....which i dont as i cant get to it. can anyone confirm this?

Last edited:
right it looks like i have well and truly f*** my C partition....the restore C option is there to restore the C from the CDrom....so i dont have any data in C now!!!

na you don't need to sign up for live, i have sorted a error 13 this way before and i'm not and never have been on live.

is there anyway to get my c drive back??? could i use the slayer retail C? or are there specific files which i would need and i may have deleted?

any help appreciated

thanks

not having used the slayer disk before....any tips or guidance before i screw it up anymore?

OR can i use the relevant files on slayer disk (C) and copy them to the relevant xboxhdm folder (C)? create iso, burn it and restore the C?

I have had a look in the slayer folder and i have "all" "retail" and another one. But when i go into retail then C, it has evox files in there. that doesnt sound retail to me!

All i want to do is get the XBOX running again and booting to the MS dash then i should be fine to mod it again

Just pop slayers in your xbox and choose option 3: new install/full rebuild, then option 3B: new install/full rebuild - retail HDD, If you want MS dash, Evo X + Apps then choose 3B1 (I recomend this one, saves re-softmodding the xbox), or if you want to return HDD back to factory set up then choose 3B2.

This is what you need to do:

> Download latest Slayers 2.7 I think, extract it to your computer then locate the files for original MS Dash

> Copy it to your linux iso folder into the "C" folder and burn your linux iso

> Using hotswap method and xboxhd. Rebuild hdd from scratch this will restore your hdd to its original state.

> Once this is done your xbox should boot up as normal and not be modded in anyway. Now you will have to get your kernal version and write it down.

> Follow the tutorial on how to Softmod using Ndure 3.0

Thats it xbox should be finally softmodded...

Back