Extra socket

johnny bravo

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I need to put up a new electrical socket in the living room, room is being replastered, ceiling boards are off, so now is a good time to add the socket..ive located the wires for the downstairs ring...so is it just a matter of cutting the ring main and adding in a 3 way junction box, bring the cable down the wall to a 25mm pattress box? ...seems like the right way..also does it matter which side of the ring main wire you cut?..because you have two 2.5mm cables coming out of each existing socket that come from the consumer unit and return to it..ta

Ok..cheers will get the stuff from screfix and put it up this weekend, got plasterer coming next week..

Do you not have to include the new socket in the ring or is it ok to just spur it off like that?

i would have just spurred off a existing socket if it was nearby but i dont have one close, so adding a socket from the ring main seems the sensible solution to do. the ring cable is just above in the ceiling where i want the socket to go, just a matter of adding in a junction box and bringing the cable down along the wall and adding the socket to the wall..

It will be a spur though unless you are cutting the ring, and then from one side running a cable to the new power outlet, then running another cable back to the other side of the ring

As you are adding one, a spur would be sufficient. If you just add a spur, there is no need to break the ring. You can splice in by removing the insulation (do not cut the conductors) and pairing up with the 2.5mm spur cable.

You’re better off using proper crimps if you want to spur out of the ring. Think I’m right in saying it’s has to be crimped if it will be inaccessible so a JB won’t be current regs.
Crimp and then heat shrink sleeving would be the most trouble free method I’d imagine.
I’ve also seen sparks use wago connectors for this type of thing because they’re unserviceable.

It will be accessible under the floor, just remove a floorboard if required. it’s plastered in the wall when it’s inaccessible.
Nothing wrong with the JB method.
Seen too many loose connections when using crimps if not done correctly.

Back