extra firewall ?

Rat

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
whats the benifits of useing an extra firewall as well as or in place of windows firewall ?

as I use windows firewall only and when I di the pc ports test etc that I posted a few weeks back

everything is Stelth and blocked anyway ??

Ive always used windows built in firewall without any known problems

To be honest if your behind a decent hardware firewall I don't think there is much benefit in then using a software firewall on your machine...

With a decent SPI Firewall and then NAT Translation you should be fine...Plus if you think of it a software firewall only protects the machine it is installed on whereas a hardware firewall protects all devices connected to it...

Altho if you ain#t behind a hardware firewall then it's defo a good ideal to install something like sygate...

It's not recommended Rat m8 because they will conflict with each other and can nd wil cause problems unbeknown to you. In fact if you install ZoneAlarm for instance you windows firewall is automatically switched off, and this can be seen in the wfw screen.

The other issue is that the windows firewall only protects you on incoming stuff and does nothing in traping or stoping outgoing stuff and thats something you defo need to do. ZA does and so do numrous other good products.

I use windows firewall as its the nutts in my opinion and its free I must admit I run trendmicro security along side it but thats only because it has a wireless detection service and notifiys you when some one tries to log onto your network which is a must ?????

Personally if you have a DSL connection I would just stick with a router running DD-WRT...If it's ADSL then something like a netgear with SPI/NAT and dropping anonymous requests etc will be fine...

I have a netgear router which has it's own firewall but I also run zone alarm, even if peeps feel it's not needed it's just peace of mind on my part to have a bit extra cover.

Yeah that's allowable Dutcho as that's a hardware (Netgear Router) and software (ZoneAlarm) and also advisable as well as the peace of mind. My guess is users get confused about 2 is better than 1 but the rule is 1 hardware firewall + 1 software firewall + 1 antivirus software package and not multiples of each.

afaik windows firewall is only updated during normal windows updates, whearas 3rd party ones update their virus definitions daily, so a pc with only windows firewall is the easiest target for malicious scripters after unpatched windows machines. also i dont bellive its heuristic, so if it looks,smells and acts like a virus windows wont care unless its on its list of viruses. tbh you can live with it but should really use a free online scanner from someone like kaspersky at least every month. its better than nothing but thats all

Ive used windows firewall + Zonealarm Pro together for years with no probs :proud: Got rid of ZA the other day cuz of the windows update cock up but now re-installed it for extra protection

I use my router running and thats it.

there is no point. If it cant get past your router it aint going to get to your PC.

IF you use a software Firewall and no hardware firewall, the ports have already been got to and the software manipulates it to make it look like nothing is there.

You on DSL Zoo?

Anyway, you should be worrying more about virus's that someone trying to hack into your PC. Hackers are more interested in getting into corporate systems than some chaps PC:)

They use backdoor trojans and the like to create a hole for them to sniff

Last edited:
Well! I got a Router Firewall n run NOD32...BUT--A Week ago I had a DISSASTER!!!!!
I went where I shoulda not gone...(not done that in 8 years) LOL
Firewall or Antivirus did not Stop a NEW Trojan n Virus from Entering my PC...NOD32 did Quarantine 4 Immediatly but 4 others plonked themselves on my Desktop n Prolifferated everywhere.....They even Prevented me Cleaning in Safe Mode..(never had that happen before)...Took me 5 Re-Formats to get back up n running..
So Now I run NOD32 n COMODO n Router Firewall....These BADDIES were BAD! Stoped you doing Anything they did...
So Play SAFE folks...

You on DSL Zoo?

Anyway, you should be worrying more about virus's that someone trying to hack into your PC. Hackers are more interested in getting into corporate systems than some chaps PC:)

They use backdoor trojans and the like to create a hole for them to sniff
there is also the threat of your machine, or machines being used as part of a bot net. It doesnt really matter what the machine does, once its in a bot net then it will be used as part of a collective.

Given most businesses have networks and systems that are slightly(!) more secure than regular home users, residential machines become a popular target.

It goes to shows that a firewall is only part of the overall security infrastructure along with anti-virus, anti-spyware (which should include trojan). Of course the biggest thing is for the user to practice safe usage.

Back