external hard drive help

jammoboss

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi all

i bought a hitachi external hard drive (usb2 and sata), i bought it for backing up my files, when its plugged in using usb its finding the driver and its listed under disk drives, i might sound stupid but how do i get hold of the drive to put files in, i only got a c: drive, d and e are my dvd rws?

when its plugged in through the usb the icon in the bottom right appears and when i hover the pointer over it, it comes up with "safely remove hardware, if i double click on it comes up woth hitachi HDS721616PLA380 USB device.

Only thing i want to know is when is the drive so i can put files on it. am i stupid lol.

hi all

i bought a hitachi external hard drive (usb2 and sata), i bought it for backing up my files, when its plugged in using usb its finding the driver and its listed under disk drives, i might sound stupid but how do i get hold of the drive to put files in, i only got a c: drive, d and e are my dvd rws?

when its plugged in through the usb the icon in the bottom right appears and when i hover the pointer over it, it comes up with "safely remove hardware, if i double click on it comes up woth hitachi HDS721616PLA380 USB device.

Only thing i want to know is when is the drive so i can put files on it. am i stupid lol.

your new external drive should show up when u click on computer if it doesnt its not installed proparly there should be a icon and spin down driver on the disk you got with the drive if not goto the hitachi support site and download the correct drivers then it will be right in front of your face when you reboot

it aint formatted by the sounds of things

Go to Control Panel

select Administrative Tools

Computer Management and select Disk Management it should be listed there but not formatted.

try clicking on the safely remove option in your toolbar then click stop hitachi ect remove it then plug it back in it might then install the drive correct deffo a driver are instalation problem though as I have 2 external drives and they showed up straight away in computer after the were installed

Go to Control Panel

Computer Management and select Disk Management it should be listed there but not formatted.

mairyhinge your blagging this kids post lol thanks for the advice though im having a look now

Go to Control Panel

nah im in disk managment its shows one drive C healthy and the space available no other partitions ?

i was told that this is usb1.1 compat but its just usb 2 on the box, could this be the prob?

under computer management its only giving me my c drive and d e drive

No drive unallocated? It will not have a letter unless its formatted.

USB 2 or 1,1 will make no difference its just the speed.

Can you post a screendump of the disk management?

No drive unallocated? It will not have a letter unless its formatted.

USB 2 or 1,1 will make no difference its just the speed.

Can you post a screendump of the disk management?

i tried using screenshot but didnt work.

al im getting is

volume Layout Type file system status
c: Partition Basic NTFS Healthy (system)
e: Partition Basic CDFS Healthy

i see disk 0 is my sata main hard drive but under disc 1

it says

Basic
195 gig
online Unallocated <-- i take it this is the prob?

i tried using screenshot but didnt work.

al im getting is

volume Layout Type file system status
c: Partition Basic NTFS Healthy (system)
e: Partition Basic CDFS Healthy

i see disk 0 is my sata main hard drive but under disc 1

it says

Basic
195 gig
online Unallocated <-- i take it this is the prob?

did u find the drivers for your drive so your computer can find it and formatt it ?

did u find the drivers for your drive so your computer can find it and formatt it ?

the drivers are installed i think well it does show it in device manager under disk drives

thats the model it shows hitachi HDS721616PLA380

Last edited:
Thanks both of you for your help

When i went into Computer managment and saw "unallocated" i asumed it wasnt allocated a drive.

after clicking on partition and then a quick format it asked me what drive i want to allocate it so i picked G and its working now. I first thought it might be trying to share the same drive, i read it tends to allocate it as d but it wasnt that

many thanks all

Back