External garage - partition off a room

darren221980

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Guy's,

I have an external garage which has electric in and I have been working in mostly since March. Now the warmer weather is pretty much gone, it isn't so nice working out here as it doesn't hold the heat from the electric oil heater long.

I've been thinking of trying to make it a bit warmer by insulating the garage door first of all by sticking some 30mm Celotex boards to the door in the next few weeks which may help keep a little more heat from the oil heater I use in there.

I then also, thought why not go one better... Partition off the back section of the garage as my office (as thats where i work anyway) and only insulate that section. I could probably make it as my Man Cave too :)

Has anyone else on here done something similar? If so can you provide any pointers to doing this?

I can't really afford to pay someone to do this for me at the moment and quite like the idea of doing it all myself if possible.

Thanks,

Darren

done something the same in a mates just used 3x2 cls to build frame and then kingspan 50mm external walls and framing. then plasterboard over the top. he used the moisture resistant stuff. but not needed if dry . remember to add a air vent as if your spending a lot of time in there it may get some moisture issues

Man cave suggests tv on wall and sound system,hmm sound proofing ??

Man cave suggests tv on wall and sound system,hmm sound proofing ??

Not to bothered about sound proofing. I do have a surround system in there already all hooked up to tv and fire stick. I have it plenty loud and can't really hear it from the houses so not a problem.

I suppose the main thing for now is ensuring i don't freeze my balls off working in there in the coming months.

Insulating will make a big difference as our extension was baltic and no insulation on the flat felted roof,rafterlock and 32mm warm boards on inside of roof and walls cosier now.

Depends on your budget and size of your man cave ?

This is a cheaper way , but not as good as the advice you have been given above ;)

Double Aluminium Bubble Foil Insulation Loft Caravan Shed Home Thermal Foil

Check out Fleebay

Last edited:
Depends on your budget and size of your man cave ?

This is a cheaper way , but not as good as the advice you have been given above ;)

Double Aluminium Bubble Foil Insulation Loft Caravan Shed Home Thermal Foil

Check out Fleebay

Ideally, don't want to spend more than £500.

Wondering whether it would be best for me to just get the garage doors insulated first (i've already filled in gaps between the garage door frame and brick with silicone and don't feel so much of a draft from the door anymore) and then get some insulation and loft boards above me on the beams as there is nowt up there currently. I could then slowly get the partition done at a later date.

cost would be about 50 quid per sq meter of wall needed as that would cover wood the cortex or kingspan and the plasterboard

Back