External drive on Xbox360

tvmnet

Inactive User
Reaction score
I dont know if anyone has tried this,
But i can download music/movies/tv shows onto my external 400Gb drive, using my pc...

Then simply plug into my Xbox360 USB slot on the front, and i can use the drive, to play movies, music etc etc straight into my TV.

Ideal and saves burning things to disc.

I havent tried to see if you can save games or anything though, but you can move files onto it off your xbox HDD.

You can do the same with any external storage device mate, it doesn't support save games.

Most of us prefer to stream our movies from the PC to the 360, saves on having any type of external drive.

I use an external HD, i convert a lot to HD wmv, which most of the time goes of the 4gb limit on fat32, so i have changed to mac format (HFS+) which enabled files over the 4gb mark.

transcode 360 with extender works a dream for me....plays divx films.

transcode 360 with extender works a dream for me....plays divx films.

Why are you still transcoding Divx mate?

The 360 handles Divx/Xvid directly now.

how mate, mine dont?

Can't play divx from extender.....have to transcode....

What am i doing wrong then?

You can only use Divx/Xvid if you have a live connection.

If you do stick a DivX/XVid file on a usb drive, external drive or such like. Then go to media blade - videos and change source to your drive.

Attempt to play file and you will asked to download an update. Go onto live and download the codec update and there you go, now you can watch Divx natively.

By the way, you have to keep you live connection else the codec doesn't work. Something to the MS licence agreement with Divx I think.

just to add to that,
i do the same, you will need a program called macdrive to format your hard drive in that format, and be able to view/edit the drive in windows. i use an external 250gig hard drive for all my movies/music/photo's and its excellent. definately worth it for HD Movies but remember they have to be WMV. if your not woried about HD content then fat32 format is fine, remember though.. you will lose all the content off your harddirve when you format. if you need macdrive send me a PM.

jim

ah ok, i'll stick to the transcode thing for now then, it's all working sweet so i'll leave it.

But if i do get another external drive then i'll do as you say.

Thanks

(p.s didn't mean to hijack this thread)

Back