Extended Warranty on Car

ScarecrowDR

Inactive User
Reaction score
I have a Ford Focus Ghia 1.8 TDi Saloon..It is 7 years old...First out on Sept 01. In Very Good Nick.
I bought it One Year Ago with an Extended Warranty--cost £220 + VAt £250.
It runs out on Friday n will cost the same as above for One Year...Is it Worth it...I am kinda restricted on Mileage (only found that out other day) but I only done 4000 miles in one year...
They did make me have my Yearly Serviceing done this Monday £140...(still paying car through finance)
Without that, No Repair...My Driveing Side Suspension SPRING Broke (Snapped) n I was doing 70mph + comeing back from Buckinghamshire to Swansea....PHeW!! so had to have it repaired..
Never had a Spring Break on me Ever before....
So, is this Warranty worth buying every year for next 3 years....@ £250
Because I'm paying Finance on car, some peeps are saying Yes it is worth it...What do you say! ??

Was saving up for a New DSLR...That's Gone now..:(
THANKS..

in my experience m8, NEVER buy a car on finance, and NEVER EVER EVER EVER buy their warranty on finance either

the warranty is not worth the paper its written on, even if you pay to have the car serviced at the makers place every 6 months, as i found out, if its any sort of major repair needed

i got stung twice like this, and the next car i buy will either be a disposable banger or brand new with a full warranty, except for a nissan cos theyre made by digitalworldz and bits fall off them :proud:

I don't bother with extended warranties. Mostly, they're a waste of money in my opinion.

It's not often you spend £220 in repairs on your car every year. Most money I've ever spent on my car is replacing the cambelt which wouldn't be covered by a warranty anyway (unless it was a premature failure maybe?) closely followed by replacing the tyres. Also, not covered by a warranty.

I'd save your money mate.

Yes! Spring was repaired on the Warranty...BUT! I had to pay for the Serviceing first..
Being on Hire Purchase, it must have a serviceing every Year..Clever Buggers!!
Have always had Old cars all me life...Always paying out when something Broke..So last year I had my army Pension n a backdated un, so I decided to buy a good nearly New, second hand car..(what I know now, I coulda bought a new un for same price). Anyway, car is Excellent..Quite Happy with it..Was rather surprised that a Front Spring Broke, as well as UnHappy about it..But the Extended Warranty did save me around £200, even though I had to pay £140 for Serviceing...I like my cars to have Full service on them but at a Garage n price of my chooseing, not being kind of Blackmailed as I was...It's in my Clauses!!
No arguements over the Repair..They did an Excellent job and cleaned my car inside n out..
Was just wondering if another years Extended Warranty at £250 is Worth it, seeing as car is now 7 years old..I could go through next year or two with no costs except for Tyres..But yet again I could get Unlucky..
An Execative owned the car before me, n it's only done near 42 thousand miles (42,000miles).
I only done 4,000 in one year..
I just need some Experienced Minds on this, on whether the Extended Warranty is worth it..

Have a good look at the warranty to see whats actually covered. When you look in detail you normally find that there are that many things that are not covered (especially on a car the age of yours) that it idn't cost effective.

I would suggest that given the age of your car and the fact that its a ford (relatively cheap to get repaired by non-dealer garages) that £250 is a lot. Bear in mind that most things you would need to repair will be excluded as "wear and tear".

next 3 years = £750

if something happens your better of paying for the damage your self, warrenty doesnt always replace expensive things in the car, if your engine blew i dont think you would be covered.

if your car doesnt break down in 3 years £750 is in your back pocket

Extended warrenty is there to make the manufactures money. Read the small print, to much stuff is not covered due to wear and tear, even more true as the car get older. Plus they lock you in on servicing.

Save your money, as long as you don't abuse it and get it serviced annually, in the trade the focus is generally regarded as a very reliable car. If you do have problems, with your age of car, I would think about using a breakers for parts and finding a local mechanic. The only parts you need a main dealer for is electrics with are not always covered under warrenty anyway.

Slightly off topic. But had a Jag and when it had come out of its extended warranty period (during which it was always in the garage for minor but very irritating things), I got quoted £1500/year for an extended warranty. LOL

Just got rid of the thing and put it down to experience.

OK Here's whats Covered---
ENGINE/Manual Gearbox/Torque Converter/Continously variable transmission CTX/Differential/Clutch/front Wheel Drive/Wheel Bearings/Propshaft/Rear-Wheel drive/Fuel System (Diesel)/Fuel Injection system/Engine Cooling system/ Air Conditioning/Steering/Turbo Charger/Front n rear suspension/Brakes/Anti locking brake system/Electrical system/Engine electronic control unit/
Must Be Serviced at place it was bought at..BUT, Not Covered can include some of above in certain circumstances...Rather Baffeling to me..If they say it's Wear n tare then it's not covered.
Still in a Pickle..LOL

ENGINE/Manual Gearbox/Torque Converter/Continously variable transmission CTX/Differential/Clutch/front Wheel Drive/Wheel Bearings/Propshaft/Rear-Wheel drive/Fuel System (Diesel)/Fuel Injection system/Engine Cooling system/ Air Conditioning/Steering/Turbo Charger/Front n rear suspension/Brakes/Anti locking brake system/Electrical system/Engine electronic control unit/
Must Be Serviced at place it was bought at..BUT, Not Covered can include some of above in certain circumstances...Rather Baffeling to me..If they say it's Wear n tare then it's not covered.
Still in a Pickle..LOL

That wear and tear variable could be a big problem, they could use wear and tear on almost anything for a 7 year old car.

Still in a Pickle..LOL

Seeing has all the those run constant with the car in 7yrs you can bet that when it fails its due to "wear n tear" even if its not m8

Still in a Pickle..LOL

A lot of that they can dodge with wear and tear excuses. This is how they make their money. Having people pay for extended warranties and then not have to carry out any work either because nothing goes wrong or they can make up excuses to make you pay for the work.

Especially if you're only doing about 4,000 miles a year, it's not worth it. I have a Focus and it's been trouble free apart from one or two very minor electrical problems which cost peanuts to put right and it gets driven hundreds of miles at a time very often. Either tearing down the motorway or down winding country lanes and still runs as good as the day I had her.

Back