ever wondered how much traffic IPTV use

jfish

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
this is whilst I was watching the Arsenal v Liverpool game on IPTV HD channel. 2.11GB of data streamed

1617483555362.png

for info, the above data derived from my pfsense firewall with a network flow monitor installed called ntpopng

Last edited:
2.11gb is a lot more than i thought....thats an eye opener.

Last edited:
i dont know what people dont get if the download is 1 gig to stream will be 1 gig
hd quality video works out about 1 gig per hour or over

Thats all well and good if you know its 1gb per hour

ye true but its easy worked out if you every downloaded any movie

Jesus I thought it was it was a few mb, as said eye opener. I remember when I was renewing my VM the VM operator said your a very high user. I blamed the games consoles and my daughter streaming movies

Would have thought True HD would be more than that.

They're never true HD though, because the packet is retransmitted over the IP network, then it's going to be dropped. Even the FHD channels are not full 1080p, and the 4k ones are certainly not native 4k.

I streamed Batman v Superman extended version the other night and that was 105gig
with a 3hr run time. Basically 35gig an hour

They're never true HD though, because the packet is retransmitted over the IP network, then it's going to be dropped. Even the FHD channels are not full 1080p, and the 4k ones are certainly not native 4k.
Exactly Netflix quote 3 gig an hour for an HD stream.

I streamed Batman v Superman extended version the other night and that was 105gig
with a 3hr run time. Basically 35gig an hour
Would the quality be better when downloaded versus streaming this movie?

Would the quality be better when downloaded versus streaming this movie?
Yes. But again there are more factors.

To get the full 4k UHD, you'd need to download the UHD version, then have a UHD enabled tv to output it via. You'd also need to ensure you've got a device that can handle that amount of output. HDD should suffice i'd say.

If you're streaming from say netflix/prime/disney+ then you will naturally get the native 4k should your device be able to handle it. And they have mahooooooosive DCs, and bandwidth to pump that film down to you. Im sure I read that facebook now accounts for like 25% or something of all internet traffic, and their DCs are absolutle monsters. I know they built one in Iceland or Sweden, and they have the air pumped in from ooutside to cool the DC as it's cheaper than electric.

Yes. But again there are more factors.

To get the full 4k UHD, you'd need to download the UHD version, then have a UHD enabled tv to output it via. You'd also need to ensure you've got a device that can handle that amount of output. HDD should suffice i'd say.

If you're streaming from say netflix/prime/disney+ then you will naturally get the native 4k should your device be able to handle it. And they have mahooooooosive DCs, and bandwidth to pump that film down to you. Im sure I read that facebook now accounts for like 25% or something of all internet traffic, and their DCs are absolutle monsters. I know they built one in Iceland or Sweden, and they have the air pumped in from ooutside to cool the DC as it's cheaper than electric.
When I watched it as with other 4k movies my TV gets the uhd logo in the top right corner. The files I stream are usually cached torrents from real debrid.

To be honest i can't see much difference between all of them,

Back