Eurovox - V - Dbox2

thomson

Inactive User
Reaction score
As some of you probably know by now, my pace box is fecked :(

Anyway, iam seriously thinking about going for either a DBox2 or a eurovox, I quite like the look of the euro-vox cause its silver, matchies my other equipment, but I understand looks aint everything.

So, iam thinking about one of these box's, and would appreciate opinions on both and things I should be cautious about (if anything).

Ive got the chance of both type apparently with all software loaded up and ready to plug and watch all channels for £140, does that sound about right ?

:Cheers:

Either type will work, the only trouble with the dbox as I understand it is that they are fairly old units now so reliability may be an issue. And with any box which isn't an ntl model there is a fair chance you will have to reprogram it manually when a new software CR version comes out. If you're after a silver unit to match your other gear, get hold of a Samsung - plenty of info on here about how to modify them, and should always take on new software updates as and when they come out.

Go for a dbox m8 a nokia
140 is a bit pricey you can normaly get one for about a ton. But you may have to flash the image onto it yourself.
Its not that difficult to do and to be honest if you own a dbox or eurovox you should know how to flash your own images as they are being updated and improved all the time.
You will get plenty help on here if you decide on the dbox route.
If you want a silver one then a can of silver spray and a bit of masking tape does the trick.

IANBBB said:
Go for a dbox m8 a nokia
140 is a bit pricey you can normaly get one for about a ton. But you may have to flash the image onto it yourself.
Its not that difficult to do and to be honest if you own a dbox or eurovox you should know how to flash your own images as they are being updated and improved all the time.
You will get plenty help on here if you decide on the dbox route.
If you want a silver one then a can of silver spray and a bit of masking tape does the trick.

i think i could handle the software upgrades ok, i have an rs 232 interface and my computer, i think thats all i need apart from the sofware its self, eh ??

Talking about the software, what happens with that, does your channels all just go off like with a funcard needing updated etc, and how often etc ???
According to the guy thats selling then, he says he will set it all up so's i can plug it in and view all channels instantly, so i suppose that would get me up and running instantly and give me some time to work out how to upgrade the software myself in the future.
Also, they guy says the software should never need updated, he must be talking crap then, eh ?

p.s
where do i get the software if i ever needed it ??? on here maybe ?

thomson said:
i think i could handle the software upgrades ok, i have an rs 232 interface and my computer, i think thats all i need apart from the sofware its self, eh ??
Talking about the software, what happens with that, does your channels all just go off like with a funcard needing updated etc, and how often etc ???
According to the guy thats selling then, he says he will set it all up so's i can plug it in and view all channels instantly, so i suppose that would get me up and running instantly and give me some time to work out how to upgrade the software myself in the future.
Also, they guy says the software should never need updated, he must be talking crap then, eh ?
p.s
where do i get the software if i ever needed it ??? on here maybe ?

No he is correct m8 and when the keys change the box updates itself.
You need a network connection between yor dbox and your pc.
Rj45 type ie ethernet.
The rs232 is not realy ness unless you are having probs and you want a bootlog file. Or if you need to put one into dbug mode.
Most boxes are already in dbug mode so dont panic on that.
All the software is on here m8 and if you need any help give me or one of the other lads a shout and we will help you out.

bammy said:
Either type will work, the only trouble with the dbox as I understand it is that they are fairly old units now so reliability may be an issue. And with any box which isn't an ntl model there is a fair chance you will have to reprogram it manually when a new software CR version comes out. If you're after a silver unit to match your other gear, get hold of a Samsung - plenty of info on here about how to modify them, and should always take on new software updates as and when they come out.

You have been reading the ebay ads lol i think the dboxes are ok on the reliabilty stakes m8

IANBBB said:
No he is correct m8 and when the keys change the box updates itself.
You need a network connection between yor dbox and your pc.
Rj45 type ie ethernet.
The rs232 is not realy ness unless you are having probs and you want a bootlog file. Or if you need to put one into dbug mode.
Most boxes are already in dbug mode so dont panic on that.
All the software is on here m8 and if you need any help give me or one of the other lads a shout and we will help you out.

so your saying my computer needs to be connected to the dbox or eurovox all the time ??? or do you mean just when the software needs upgraded, which is approx how often ?? I have an ethernet card in the computer too by the way.

Also, would you defo avoid the euro-vox 2 ?? you didnt really say much about it ?

you only need to connect it to your pc when changing images etc which you dont have to do once your box is set up but people like to try other things out etc

as for the eurovox not many people like them and most have dboxes i myself have a dbox therefore will recommend a dbox and so will Ian (i think)....;)

No it only needs connecting when you want to flash
Or you can keep it connected and open up the other options such as hdd recording and watching the dbox on your pc.
You can also use it as a media server for mp3 and jpeg files.
I have not heard much on the eurovox m8 but i would not see past my dbox.

its a pity the dbox's are black, thats putting me off them slightly, suppose i could do what you guys said, silver paint etc.

So the euro-vox is a no-no then ??? hmm, i spoke to a guy down the pub who has a dbox2 and he was the one that actually recommended the latest euro-vox, now my brain is busting, hehehe :)

so whats the exact model i should be looking to buy if i go for a dbox ???

Takes 2 mins to strip the covers off and paint them m8 and it looks good when done.
Not saying the eurovox is bad as i have never seen one working. But i have seen the dbox and as i said i would recommend it to anyone. I also think the knowledge base and support for the dbox is greater.

so if i go for a dbox , its a nokia dbox2 iam looking for ?? preferably with all software installed etc so's i can just plug and view ?

Just get a nokia in debug mode m8
If the image is on it and it is plug in and scan then good. If not then 10 mins work will sort it out.
You need a crossover cable for the ethernet connections. though and a small adapter from f connector to rf type as the cable input is the same as a tv ariel connection.
Maplins or b&q do them.

what about this one here > http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NOKIA-DBOX-2-...830077135QQcategoryZ39804QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

would i simply be able to plug that in and get all channels ????

and also this one, what about this and is it ready also just to plug in and view http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dbox-2-for-sa...ryZ39804QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

then i noticed this one too, it has all the bits and pieces included that you said i would need http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DBOX2-BOX2-No...829537205QQcategoryZ29784QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The 2nd ebay link you have posted is plug and play... you shouldnt need to do anything to it.

The 1st and 3rd links will almost definately require you to flash an image to the box. But dont worry.... its sooo easy. In fact, I recommend that all pace and samsung users go out and buy a DBOX! None of this cutting talkback and unlocking cards ... the dbox doesnt use a card, and doesnt have talkback anyway! The keys are automatically updated.

Myself, gav12345, and numerous others from the DBOX2 section are constantly updating images and making the dbox software better.... its just so easy you really cant go wrong. 10 minutes work maximum if the box isnt "plug and play" already.

Pop into the dbox section on here and have a look - the support is overwhelming! You normally get a response to a question within 2 minutes. On the other hand, support for eurovox is very limited and I hear that the software is unstable and the EPG is rather poor.

It doesnt matter which dbox2 you get - nokia or sagem - they both do the exact same thing, they just look different.

I have written quite a few guides on how to set up the dbox first time, set up recording, streaming, viewing TV on PC and much more... take a look in the dbox downloads section for more info.

A dbox is the way to go...
Don't worry too much about getting one thats "plug and play", as you'll almost certainly want to flash a new image to it when you get it anyway. These boxes become an obsession, and you just have to keep tinkering with them - the possibilities are endless.

FOR ALL YOU OLD PACE USERS:

What are you doing? LOL. You're wasting valuable time and money on getting all the equipment to chip these boxes, when the DBOX is literally "plug in and 10 minutes later im done... no electronic skills or equipment required"!. And also dboxes arent the property of NTL ;-)

Your pace boxes are sluggy and horribly slow... a dbox will change channel is less than a second... the EPG is great and very flexible... you can customize the box TO THE MAX. And all you guys are still stuck on CR3.2 and CR4 software lol.

Tell me, what sort of equipment do you need to do your boxes? Hmm.... lets see. Card programmer (and most of you guys opt for the most expensive programmers even tho u dont need anything that powerful!), unlooper, rs232 cable (for setting net id), titanium or other expensive card, atmel reader (sometimes?), and the box itself etc etc. And the amount of things that can go wrong in the process!!! With a dbox, all you need is the box, and an ethernet cable. Yes... an ethernet cable. The same ones that you use for standard PC networking. 99p on eBay. Huge investment. It can take ages to do a pace box, it takes me 55 SECONDS to do a dbox from scratch.

Honestly, get a dbox. And i'll see you in the dbox section real soon :)
Liam.

liamcrayden said:
The 2nd ebay link you have posted is plug and play... you shouldnt need to do anything to it.

The 1st and 3rd links will almost definately require you to flash an image to the box. But dont worry.... its sooo easy. In fact, I recommend that all pace and samsung users go out and buy a DBOX! None of this cutting talkback and unlocking cards ... the dbox doesnt use a card, and doesnt have talkback anyway! The keys are automatically updated.

Myself, gav12345, and numerous others from the DBOX2 section are constantly updating images and making the dbox software better.... its just so easy you really cant go wrong. 10 minutes work maximum if the box isnt "plug and play" already.

Pop into the dbox section on here and have a look - the support is overwhelming! You normally get a response to a question within 2 minutes. On the other hand, support for eurovox is very limited and I hear that the software is unstable and the EPG is rather poor.

It doesnt matter which dbox2 you get - nokia or sagem - they both do the exact same thing, they just look different.

I have written quite a few guides on how to set up the dbox first time, set up recording, streaming, viewing TV on PC and much more... take a look in the dbox downloads section for more info.

Don't worry too much about getting one thats "plug and play", as you'll almost certainly want to flash a new image to it when you get it anyway. These boxes become an obsession, and you just have to keep tinkering with them - the possibilities are endless.

What are you doing? LOL. You're wasting valuable time and money on getting all the equipment to chip these boxes, when the DBOX is literally "plug in and 10 minutes later im done... no electronic skills or equipment required"!. And also dboxes arent the property of NTL ;-)

Your pace boxes are sluggy and horribly slow... a dbox will change channel is less than a second... the EPG is great and very flexible... you can customize the box TO THE MAX. And all you guys are still stuck on CR3.2 and CR4 software lol.

Liam.

hope they understand this time ive been telling them for the past 9 months...LOL

liamcrayden said:

Liam.

Could not agree more

i heard the fta101 and eurovox's are a pile of shite mate takes upto 20 to descramble when you change channels etc

the best one is the dbox2 then eurovox2 as far as im aware

@liamcrayden can you come on msn for two mins please i have something for you to try out

dont want to make it public until i am 100% confident its gonaa work ;)

MSN don't appear to be working at my end m8? Always disconnects just after I sign in :S

Perhaps a PM or an email would help ? :)

Back