Eurovox - V - Dbox2

they will all be after DBOXES very soon get them while you can ....

thats my advice and im sure LIAM will agree too ;)

Well guys, for various reasons I didnt take you'z advice to buy a dbox, I bought the Euro-vox2 instead, hope's you'z dont take offence.

Anyway, I just got the euro-vox setup tonight and I must say iam impressed :) Very Very nice looking box, produces great picture and sound quality, I cant fault it really, just wish someone would get a new Autoupdate image file written to save having to enter in new keys when keys roll, not a big deal though, iam sure a new AU image is getting written as we speak.

Anyway, Euro-Vox2, iam well impressed, anyone thinking of buying a new box should have a look at these, dbox is great too, but in my opinion kinda dated.

cheers guys :Cheers:

Well guys, for various reasons I didnt take you'z advice to buy a dbox, I bought the Euro-vox2 instead, hope's you'z dont take offence, none intended and I do appreciate any advice I get :)

Anyway, I just got the euro-vox setup tonight and I must say iam impressed :) Very Very nice looking box, produces great picture and sound quality, I cant fault it really, just wish someone would get a new Autoupdate image file written to save having to enter in new keys when keys roll, not a big deal though, iam sure a new AU image is getting written as we speak.

Anyway, Euro-Vox2, iam well impressed, anyone thinking of buying a new box should have a look at these, dbox is great too, but in my opinion kinda dated.

thomson said:
Well guys, for various reasons I didnt take you'z advice to buy a dbox, I bought the Euro-vox2 instead, hope's you'z dont take offence, none intended and I do appreciate any advice I get :)

I honestly and truely do believe that you made the wrong choice. It's not because I own a DBOX... because I have also seen the EuroVox, and it IS a nice box... to look at.

Whereas you are manually typing in keys every day to keep your box going, our dboxs are still autoupdating happily. And I'm also not aware of any enthusiasts that are developing new software for the EuroVox.

I was impressed when I saw the EuroVox... its a nice little box really... but the DBOX is 10 times better: more functionality, more stability, more support. We are updating the software for it every week... of course, you don't have to update it, but it just gives you piece of mind.

I do advise people to look at both the EuroVox AND the DBOX... but please, don't base your opinion on what the box looks like from the outside. Its whats inside that counts :)

Liam.

liamcrayden said:
And I'm also not aware of any enthusiasts that are developing new software for the EuroVox.

well, come on guys, get cracking with the auto update image for the eurovox then :)

p.s
manually putting in 16 digits with the remote control every couple of days isnt a big deal by the way, takes about 1 minute to do, but obvioulsy i would rather have the AU, get cracking on with it guys please, cant be that difficult, the eurovox has been running for the past 6 months or summit with AU , so someone must be doing the images somewhere ???

got my eurovox 2 update with the latest software plug in and auto updates 240 channels on e:bay 129 free post can get for 99 without software but is it worth it ,no ,dont need the agg just want to watch tv

smirnoff_rules said:
got my eurovox 2 update with the latest software plug in and auto updates 240 channels on e:bay 129 free post can get for 99 without software but is it worth it ,no ,dont need the agg just want to watch tv

talking baws man .

Is this thread STILL going? lol...
Btw, I want to scrap anything I said about the dbox2 and now recommend that you get a DREAMBOX. The dbox2 IS a very good box but is now slightly outdated; the dreambox is the newer version which is smaller than my hand (yes! VERY TINY!) and is also silver and looks great, but runs the same linux software that the dbox does AT A FASTER RATE!

Also would like to say that the FTA101 is not worth bothering with. So either go for the Eurovox or Dreambox if you are just starting out with cable :)

Liam

Just been looking on fleabay, for a dreambox, i see there is a 500 model and then there are the 7000 models.

Is the only difference a harddrive in these machines?????

Are we just better off buying the 500 model?????

Your info will be much appreciated.

Guys I now want one of these D Boxes. Please advise me what model number to go for as there are loads on fleabay

ooooozzzing said:
Just been looking on fleabay, for a dreambox, i see there is a 500 model and then there are the 7000 models.

Is the only difference a harddrive in these machines?????

Are we just better off buying the 500 model?????

Your info will be much appreciated.

You need to buy a dreambox 500c.... the dreambox 7000s wont work for UK cable. Similarly, the dreambox 500s is for satellite only.

Seriously the boxes are great... smaller than a VHS cassette box, and no messing around with BKs and IRDs.... just connect box to PC and click a few buttons, and after that you have a fully working copy of Linux on it.

Liam

pmoore31 said:
Guys I now want one of these D Boxes. Please advise me what model number to go for as there are loads on fleabay

If you want a DBOX then go for a Sagem DBOX2 in debug mode. Dont worry about anything else in the item description.

If you want a DREAMBOX (preffered) then go for the Dreambox 500c. Again, dont worry about any other technical details in the item description.

Take a look at my DBOX2 guide here: http://www.world-of-digital.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47000 before you purchase a box.

Liam

I just had a PM asking me whether the dreambox is actually worth its money. The answer.... YES! There are people selling 'chipped' boxes on eBay for sometimes over £200. If you are lucky, you can pick up a dreambox for around the £130 mark (prices are rising due to demand so get one quick).

Here is a few points that might justify the money:

1. The dreambox takes 6.5 seconds to boot up. From the moment you put the plug in, you can be watching full TV with complete EPG in just over 6 seconds. This compares to the 30(ish) seconds it takes to boot up an original NTL/Telewest PACE box.

2. The dreambox has a faster, more user friendly menu navigation system. The menus appear INSTANTLY on-screen, with no "loading" delays or waiting. You can customize the look and feel of the menu to your own needs, via the use of 'skins'. This means you can design the box to look and act how you want it to.

3. The dreambox is already 'chipped' as some people call it. There is NO talkback to cut, there are NO IRDs or BKs to mess about with, and there are no circuit board modifications. You dont need a soldering iron, you dont even need a screwdriver. The only equipment you will need is a crossover ethernet cable, and possibly a null modem cable. All of which can be bought online for less than £3.99.

4. The dreambox directly integrates to your home PC network. It is a multimedia machine, and not just a standard cable box. It allows you to stream LIVE TV to ANY PC in your local area network, it allows you to RECORD LIVE TV (including encrypted front row, etc if you still have it) to ANY PC. You can remote control your PC/Laptop/PDA via your TV screen and remote control, or keep an eye on the kids. You can connect it to the internet via its built-in "Links web browser". You can view live webcams from anywhere in the world, and get the latest weather forecast. You can receive emails on your TV and [with careful configuration] get VoIP/SIP updates on-screen! You can send a message from downstairs to the upstairs TV to the missus saying 'MAKE A CUPPA TEA LUV!'. The list is endless.

5. There ISNT a fixed software revision that you are tied to. PACE/Samsung boxes use CR1/CR2/CR3/CR3.2/CR3.3 etc which are incredible sh*te. We are now constantly developing the software for the dreambox 500c, making it even faster and better than before - adding new features along the way. At present you have a choice of over 8 different linux packages you can install to the dreambox. More will follow.

6. The actual box itself is smaller than a VHS cassette. Its actually just slightly smaller than a DVD case, if you stacked one on top of the other for thickness. The remote control is light and very easy to use. The box is stylist black and silver, and the remote is dark black which gives it the "latest technology" look.

7. The technical specifications are FAR superior than any Pace/Samsung box. Take a look on the website for details of the processor, etc. The DBOX can also do some of the stuff mentioned above, but its techincal specifications are far lower... particularly the speed of the dbox compared to the dream.

EDIT: Forgot to add that the boxes are also autoupdating and DONT use a card!
Hope that answers some questions.
Cheers,
Liam

Last edited by a moderator:
pmoore31 said:

guys, after reading all the reviews etc on the eurovox 3 (replay box), this is defo the box to buy, iam going to buy one after the new year and sell my eurovox2, eurovox2 is excellent too but the replay box has an inbuilt hard drive and records tv onto it, thats what i want, sick of messing with dvd's etc on my dvd recorder.

:Cheers:

thanks for the info Liam, i will order my dreambox tonight, if i get stuck on set up etc i will see you in the dreambox section, have a good christmas mate.

Hi Guys

thought I would have my say lol...I have a nokia dbox2 which has been brilliant..yes it went of a few weeks back but like Liam says a upgrage in image fixed that and again it back if not better than before...the pic quality is amazing than before with the newer image am using gavs latest...no offence Liam I just not tried any other as this ones worked for me..no freezes etc.

Anyway then my Pace box went of which my bro was using ..so though I would read on euro vox2 . bought the box 99 quid..great its brand new get 12 mnths warranty etc..unlike dbox..this was so easy to set up i thought maybe i missed something..easier than dbox and that is easy so hard to believe. But I hate the epg and also the set up ...dbox is so easy to use. Pic quallity after running both boxes on same telly using 2 av inputs I think dbox wins.

Only prob I feel is you are now struggling to get a good dbox and thats the main reason why eurovox maybe better. Unless you know you got a good dbox then it wins hands down but how do we know it is this when it comes from germany and returns cost alot should you have a prob.

OK so points are pic quality i say dbox, ease of setup eurovox2, more easy to use dbox, more software dbox, more confidence in gettin a good box eurovox.

That makes dbox win 3-2 but like i say all depends if u get a good box..

But now I read Liams notes I am going to be looking for a dreambox to see how good it is ..liams review sounds good..

To Liam or Jimmy

Will this nice surprise work with the Dreambox that you pair r talkin about, and will it be ready for Crimbo (I love pressies lol)

liamcrayden said:
The 2nd ebay link you have posted is plug and play... you shouldnt need to do anything to it.

The 1st and 3rd links will almost definately require you to flash an image to the box. But dont worry.... its sooo easy. In fact, I recommend that all pace and samsung users go out and buy a DBOX! None of this cutting talkback and unlocking cards ... the dbox doesnt use a card, and doesnt have talkback anyway! The keys are automatically updated.

Myself, gav12345, and numerous others from the DBOX2 section are constantly updating images and making the dbox software better.... its just so easy you really cant go wrong. 10 minutes work maximum if the box isnt "plug and play" already.

Pop into the dbox section on here and have a look - the support is overwhelming! You normally get a response to a question within 2 minutes. On the other hand, support for eurovox is very limited and I hear that the software is unstable and the EPG is rather poor.

It doesnt matter which dbox2 you get - nokia or sagem - they both do the exact same thing, they just look different.

I have written quite a few guides on how to set up the dbox first time, set up recording, streaming, viewing TV on PC and much more... take a look in the dbox downloads section for more info.

A dbox is the way to go...
Don't worry too much about getting one thats "plug and play", as you'll almost certainly want to flash a new image to it when you get it anyway. These boxes become an obsession, and you just have to keep tinkering with them - the possibilities are endless.

FOR ALL YOU OLD PACE USERS:

What are you doing? LOL. You're wasting valuable time and money on getting all the equipment to chip these boxes, when the DBOX is literally "plug in and 10 minutes later im done... no electronic skills or equipment required"!. And also dboxes arent the property of NTL ;-)

Your pace boxes are sluggy and horribly slow... a dbox will change channel is less than a second... the EPG is great and very flexible... you can customize the box TO THE MAX. And all you guys are still stuck on CR3.2 and CR4 software lol.

Tell me, what sort of equipment do you need to do your boxes? Hmm.... lets see. Card programmer (and most of you guys opt for the most expensive programmers even tho u dont need anything that powerful!), unlooper, rs232 cable (for setting net id), titanium or other expensive card, atmel reader (sometimes?), and the box itself etc etc. And the amount of things that can go wrong in the process!!! With a dbox, all you need is the box, and an ethernet cable. Yes... an ethernet cable. The same ones that you use for standard PC networking. 99p on eBay. Huge investment. It can take ages to do a pace box, it takes me 55 SECONDS to do a dbox from scratch.

Honestly, get a dbox. And i'll see you in the dbox section real soon :)
Liam.

Wheres the fun in that:banana: gettin a bit bored with cc boxes,been searchin and found this thread,interesting reading.
The more i read though,i'm swayed to a eurovox 2

ended up buying a NOKIA D-BOX 2 with Linux Neutrino for cable Television before I read about the dreambox. I'm gunna get it... set it up (hopefully with a little from you guys..help if needed)... Watch is until 2006 .... sell it.. and buy a dreambox.. thanks for the advice...

Back