EU want Apple to use USB standard chargers

I remember this being mentioned a while ago.

I agree, nothing will happen. Apple will fight it and drag it through all the courts.

What is standard now? It's USB-C isn't it but even that it's only few new ones. Some others use micro usb. Again, no standard as such - just a variation of USB

The USB-C jack is amazing... and the cables somehow are cheaper than usb 3.0 ones

I love my USB/c fully changes my phone under an hour, i agree with the eu they should have a universal cable for all devices like phones, tablets ect

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

I love my USB/c fully changes my phone under an hour, i agree with the eu they should have a universal cable for all devices like phones, tablets ect

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Yes they're the mutts nuts, but are open to hacking. Someone very clever has worked out a way to use that cable to pwn any device that can connect to it. Read it on one of the tech forums this morning.

Apple will not yield to this pressure from the EU, and I dont see how the EU can enforce it, it's their IP, and they can market that how they see fit, including non-standardised cables.

Yes they're the mutts nuts, but are open to hacking. Someone very clever has worked out a way to use that cable to pwn any device that can connect to it. Read it on one of the tech forums this morning.

Apple will not yield to this pressure from the EU, and I dont see how the EU can enforce it, it's their IP, and they can market that how they see fit, including non-standardised cables.
Not the fault of the cable though is it? The device on the end of it can be hacked but not possible to hack the cable ;)

Standards are good but governments forcing them is bad, Govt enabling standards is silly.

The last time "they" tried to force Apple to adopt standard phone charging sockets, Apple simply said their iPhones were PDA's and completely ignored them. What's in a name, eh?

they should force them to use the standard
Apple has become the first ever company to reach a market valuation of one trillion dollars, good luck to anyone trying to force them to change their product.
Their lightning cable is far superior anyway imo, zero chance of port damage through improper insertion.

Apple has become the first ever company to reach a market valuation of one trillion dollars, good luck to anyone trying to force them to change their product.
Their lightning cable is far superior anyway imo, zero chance of port damage through improper insertion.

You beat me to it! My only objection to the lightning cables is their (probably intentional) fragility. The new USB-C plugs are also reversible (about time) and don't appear to be so delicate.

Back