Ethernet port failure?

steff

Inactive User
Reaction score
I've been happily using the dbox on my LAN for about 6 months. Had it working wired and recently wirelessly.

Now my ethernet connection seems goosed. Did all the usual restarting of devices, checked IPs etc and still nothing. Dug out the old crossover cable and tried to connect directly using that and again nothing.

Everything is with the correct IP range, and all other devices continue to operate as normal.

Am I missing something really obvious or has my ethernet port failed?!

Any advice would be much appreciated.

sounds strange .. did you try some different cables? check the that the plug is incorrect, if you got a swtich see if that show the connection speed if connected to the dbox? cant imagen that it would just die .. ?
aded any new deviced with the same ip?

cooltool said:
sounds strange .. did you try some different cables? check the that the plug is incorrect, if you got a swtich see if that show the connection speed if connected to the dbox? cant imagen that it would just die .. ?
aded any new deviced with the same ip?
the cable(s) work fine on other pc's/laptop, plus I also was using a wireless bridge which works OK elsewhere.
I tried the dbox with several IP numbers within the range in case there was a conflict.
I agree it does seem odd that it would just die - but I'm at a loss!
I could have done something stupid but i just cant figure it out. I would love to just reflash a working image i'd saved off but obviously I cant.
I guess I'll just need to methodically go through everything again - for the umpteen time!

i guess if you got a voltmeter you could check if there is anything coming out of net plug on the dbox ..

Sounds like it may have just died, for a random unknown reason. You could try checking the bootlog to see if there were any error messages or anything like that.

If all else fails, then you can flash a new image to the box using purely a null modem cable. MGB done a roughly translated tutorial, its on the site somewhere.

Maybe its something as simple as you've just disabled the network in the image that you're using?

Liam.

liamcrayden said:
Sounds like it may have just died, for a random unknown reason. You could try checking the bootlog to see if there were any error messages or anything like that.

If all else fails, then you can flash a new image to the box using purely a null modem cable. MGB done a roughly translated tutorial, its on the site somewhere.

Maybe its something as simple as you've just disabled the network in the image that you're using?

Liam.

I'm not ruling anything out at the moment! i have spent hours on this though and it would be highly embarassing if it was something trivial! haha.

I'll spend some quality time on it over the weekend and see what happens.

yeah double check all logs and check errors with bringin up the network ifconfig stuff .. can you telnet into the box via the null modem cable?
also clean the netport might be some dust in there (!?) ...
.. if all else fails .. hit it ;)

Back