Eriksson eyes World Cup triumph

hamba

Inactive User
Reaction score
Sven-Goran Eriksson believes England can win the 2006 World Cup if his key players can avoid serious injury.

England's place in the World Cup in Germany was assured on Saturday after Holland beat the Czech Republic.

"We have an extremely good team," the England boss told BBC Radio Five Live. "I am extremely confident England will have a very good World Cup.
"We are one of four or five teams who can win the World Cup. If we are lucky with injuries I think we can do it."

Eriksson has come under intense criticsm following England's 4-1 friendly defeat at the hands of Denmark in August and the World Cup qualifying loss to Northern Ireland last month.

And on Saturday England laboured to beat Austria 1-0 in their penultimate World Cup qualifying game - in a match in which captain David Beckham was sent off.

But Eriksson rejected criticism of the manner of the Austria win and maintained that England would be in better shape come the start of the finals in June 2006.
"I think we worked as a team, we defended well and had some good attacks but we know we can play better football," added Eriksson.

"I am excited because the big aim for us for two years has been to qualify for the World Cup - after the Northern Ireland game the critics began saying maybe not.
"So, of course, I am delighted. That has been the big aim for two years and now the big aim is to prepare everything for the World Cup."

Story from BBC SPORT:
Published: 2005/10/09 08:28:39 GMT

i agree with alan hanson if england play like they have been doing recently they have no chance of winning the world cup next year. just hope they dont get put in a tough group. an early exit would surely see sven sacked, actually thats maybe not such a bad thing.

Back