Ere we go AGAIN... Drunk-driving group cross with GTA IV

mxwizard

Inactive User
Reaction score
US group Mothers Against Drunk Driving has voiced its disappointment with Grand Theft Auto IV for including a section where you can drive around while drunk.

MADD issued a statement on its website calling for the game to be re-evaluated by the Entertainment Software Ratings Board and for manufacturers to halt production "out of respect" for the millions that have been affected by drunk drivers.

"Each year nearly 13,500 people die in drunk driving crashes and another half a million are injured in alcohol-related traffic crashes. This is why MADD is extremely disappointed by the decision of the manufacturers of the game Grand Theft Auto IV to include a game module where players can drive drunk," read the statement.

"Drunk driving is not a game and it is not a joke. Drunk driving is a choice, a violent crime and it is also 100 percent preventable.

"MADD is calling on the Entertainment Software Ratings Board to reclassify Grand Theft Auto IV as an Adults Only game, a step up from the current rating of Mature and for the manufacturer to consider a stop in distribution - if not out of responsibility to society then out of respect for the millions of victims/survivors of drunk driving," concluded the statement.

Grand Theft Auto IV lets you go for a drink with some of your acquaintances and then drive home after if you can't be bothered to flag down a cab.

However, not only is driving around while inebriated extremely difficult, but it also sends the police after you if they happen to spot you on your journey. You could almost say there's a built-in deterrent.

Source: eurogamer.net

next someone will moan about being able to walk the streets when its dark.
isnt it an 18 making it an adult only game?
I wish people would realise this is a GAME its not real life.....

thats my thoughts exactly mate... its a GAME ffs

they need to bring a health and safety game out where everyone is happy with each other nothing happens. people will wear bubble wrap suits and hard hats with lots of hazzard tape arround so you cant hurt yourself. Now that would be a hit game/ years top seller and everyone who moans will still moan that something isnt right

what about shootting people so they dont mind that as long as your not drink driving while doing it

This is only my opinion but I think sometimes these groups do it to get a bit of publicity for their cause.

I dont play it but from what I have read it is a violent game but still only a game at the end of the day, I can't see anyone going out and having a gun fight with the police after watching it becuse they know its against the law and wrong and I dont think they will go and drink/drive either because they could do it in GTA IV.

Anyone that drinks and drives is an idiot and they know it. Do you think that if they had street signs saying never drink and drive during the game that it would prevent those idiots who knowingly do it from doing it again.

just my tuppence.

Agree Jaffa, and alot of it is to do with US culture. They are a very outspoken country in general, and a lot of these groups will do this for publicity, or to raise money for their cause. Perhaps they should take a look at home, before putting the rest of the world to rights.

Back