Encrypted Channels On Screen

darcy

Inactive User
Reaction score
HI,
Is there any software out there that will allow you to view a scrambled channel....I don't mean decode the channel but just get an output onto the screen...I am thinking about the way the old analogue astra satellite would show you the scrambled picture if you did not put the card in.... I understand there are programs that will allow you to record the data stream... so if it can be recorded surly it can be viewed in all its scrambled glory.

This may sound weird but I have a reason.

darcy said:
HI,
Is there any software out there that will allow you to view a scrambled channel....I don't mean decode the channel but just get an output onto the screen...I am thinking about the way the old analogue astra satellite would show you the scrambled picture if you did not put the card in.... I understand there are programs that will allow you to record the data stream... so if it can be recorded surly it can be viewed in all its scrambled glory.

This may sound weird but I have a reason.

well let us know what is the reason

Analogue scrambling and digital encryption are very different processes, there is no way the MPEG decoder in the set-top box could display a CSA encrypted stream on screen.

Hi,
Thanks guys for your prompt replies,

Ok here is the weird reason to go with the weird request…it is based on my shoddy understanding of the encryption system so please feel free to explain where my logic is going wrong.
Basically the signal is broadcast scrambled and is sent with a key code which in combination with a key code from the card is used to activate the decoder which in turn unscrambles the picture and sound which will end up on your screen (ok it’s a lot more complicated than that but I don’t want to open that can of worms)
So you start logging and looking for clues so as to be able to re-manufacture a card in order to work along with the decoder and if it works you get a picture until they change the cards or send out an ecm which puts you back to square 1

Anyway …(this is where I am really guessing) what if the reason the MPEG decoder in the set-top box can not display encrypted streams were simply because it recognises that the stream is garbled and does not attempt to process it. This being the case it would be possible using a pc and a dvb card with software to edit the software and allow the scrambled picture to be shown.

Now for the why…
If the scrambled picture could bee seen it could be outputted thru the composite out from a video card then back into an old analogue TV card with composite in from there we already have the old programs that were used successfully to rebuild the picture on video crypt which worked by putting the picture together again…like a jigsaw
The advantages of this would be
1 it would probably be legal
2 it could work with any system
And 3 its ecm proof.

Ok… so it’s a long shot and I’m sure it can’t be done or one of you guys would have done it already…. But I would really like to know more about these streams and why they can’t be displayed.

Darcy

Back