electricity usage

grogsy76

Inactive User
Reaction score
I have been testing electricity usage of my equipment in my house. And on testing my 24" CRT TV downstairs it seemed to be using around 75watts maximum, but on checking the 26" lcd tv in my bedroom its using 100watts. I always believed that CRT tvs used far more electricity than LCD?

Found this

- CRT Monitor -
All White Screen: 90 watts
All Black Screen: 71 watts
Average: 80.5 watts

- LCD Monitor -
All White Screen: 28 watts
All Black Screen: 29 watts
Average: 28.5 watts

- Some interesting numbers -
The CRT uses 27% more power displaying an all white vs. all black screen
The LCD uses 4% less power displaying an all white vs. all black screen
The LCD uses 35% less power, on average, overall of a CRT

source
http://chironbramberger.blogspot.com/2008/04/rip-crt-lcd-vs-crt-vs-trees-vs-michael.html

monitors

Do those figures only apply to pc monitors ie a 17 CRT Monitor compared to a 17" LCD Monitor? Does this rule apply to CRT TV's and LCD TV's? Will probably do a 5 hour usage test on each type of tv.

Difference wouldn't be a great deal between monitors and TVs. The only addition to a TV is a tuner and IR control.

As for energy consumption, these max ratings may differ but the actual consumption during normal use of the LCD may well fall below what the CRT draws. Things that can influence this are the inputs used, brightness settings, volume settings, screen size and so on.

Think of it like a laptop and how that conserves power when it's unplugged by dimming the brightness, changing the way inputs are enabled and slowing down the processor. If your LCD was set to max brightness and a high volume that both exceed the CRTs maximums then it's quite possible it will draw more power.

Back