electrician help please

derek12345

Inactive User
Reaction score
just got a new electric cooker which needs fitted there is no wire with it i havnt got an old cooker to take it off which wire do i need to buy to fit it focus sell light duty cooker wire or heavy duty cooker wire or wilkinson sell it for 1.20 per metre

You will probably get the answer here but for future reference you should consider registering at link below as its a newly set up diy forum and there are loads of fully qualified tradesmen there.

btw.....It is owned by MickieD (as far as I know)

http://www.diymasters.com/

btw again...sorry I can't help with your question.

Competency required......

The gauge of cable will depend on the amperage of the cooker!!
If you don't know this I would recommend that you get an electrician to connect it up for you.

You need 30 amp cooker cable. You can get it from any good electrical retailer to the length you want.

Open up the access panel to the terminal on the cooker and the wall outlet (don't forget to turn the electric off) and connect them up. Not difficult at all and should be self explanatory where each wire goes to.

i dont know that much about elecs but i would use 6mm or 10mm cooker cable m8 ...10mm is what they stick in the walls to the cooker socket when we refurb kitchens round this way

i have wired one up before its just like a plug but this one has no cable with it i just wanted to know which wire to buy its a cooker with oven its not seperate

(its my mums shes going from gas to electric )

you need to know the rating of the oven.

6mm will give you about 45amps but that is without reductions (depending on how the cable is run(i.e rockwall insulation has a big factor).

10mm is about 60amps and will almost 99% be big enough.

But are you taking this from the CU or are you joining this cable into the cooker socket near your cooker?, if this is the case then you will need to use the same cable as a minimum because there is no point running 10mm into a 6mm cooker spur!

If its lower in size you should really check your oven rating because double ovens will draw usually 20-30 amps (4mm minimum) singles you can get away with 13amps (2.5 minimum) 9 times out of 10.

But electric hobs are another ball game they will be big power consumers and you must make sure that your cable can handle the power being drawn before making any connections (diversity).

And if its both hob and oven thats where your 10mm will come into play.

Do not listen to people saying that it must be 6mm or 10mm if you use diversity then you can put whatever cable you choose there (as a part p registered electrician).

You'll need to find out the current rating of the protective device (fuse or breaker in fuse board) as you shouldn't use a cable with a lower rating than the protective device. i.e. if the cooker point is fed from a 60amp breaker and you use 6mm cable, if a fault occured it's possible it would result in the cable catching fire.

My Student Mickie has given the most concise answer so far, follow what he says and you will not go wrong!
Just dont think about Diversity...lol

Diversity is allowable with cookers, from memory the regs allow you to apply soomething like 50%

Pmsl @ chris that was a long time ago i asked you how to use the megger lmao ;)

Funny i had my annual assessment last week showing 5 jobs and it went as smooth as a pancake... except on one install i went to show him ZE by pulling out the earth bond on a consumer unit but forgot that i had put the main water and gas bonding in the MET :eek: good job the fella pointed that out with a smile (what a cock) lmao.

Back to topic lol.... diversity is easy guys don't be afraid :)

thanx for all your help i got 6mm cable wired it to box on wall all works fine now she well pleased

Back