Electricans beware....an new Reg Part P

I no here one problem, with doing the work @ home yourself & on the sly, is that when it comes time to sell on your property, people seem to get found out via inspections etc. Some have been dragged thorugh the courts, others fined etc.

Well thats exactly why part p is being inplemented......

Mind you I could imagine she used the cheapest possible person to do it....

I'm currently doing Part 2 Electrical Installation. No mention has been made of this in our classes. We have been told that a competent person should sign new installations but nothing about this P certificate. When will the industry be made aware of this?

Selling the house shouldnt be a problem, get the wiring inspected prior to sale, if there is a problem then the inspection has been a success and provided you with insight to a problem...

Nothing wrong with having a qualification for electrical installation work, hopefully will remove the amature electricians (builders)

Taff

i also work in factory as electrican and have asked how thse regs affect us doing new installations was given short ansewer they dont

Screwed alright.
The fookers are sticking there nose in again.

Well ive still got old cabling left from when I re-wired my house last year. These new regs aint gonna stop me from doing wiring and fitting a new consumer unit in my garage. Why do I need to pay someone shit loads to do a job I can easily do myself. I know its right, ive read how its done and im doing it the correct way. so fcuk u regs!

just say that you installed it before january the 1st this year and it will be legal!!

Del, although I recognise that there are some competent DIY'ers like you - the idea behind introducing regulation is to protect the consumer. You only need to see a kitchen installation by B&Q to realise there is a lot of bad so called tradesmen operating out there.

There are some who feel they have read books on how to wire a ring main who think nothing of running a wire down a lift shaft - which is against IEE regulations. AND these people are being paid as professionals. Ask any of the sparks on here how many times they have had to sort out a two way circuit on someones landing after a so called electrician has installed it.

There is a need for some regulation just like Corgi with gas but how this has been implemented is a bit daft and confusing. On top that the confusion was added to by the wire colours changing at the same time.

But rest assured our trade will not turn into the money grabbing machine that Corgi seems to have done with the plumbing trade. There will be the odd individual but in general us electricians are better than those mechanical boys!!!! (brings back memories of my apprenticeship that one - It's mechanical - It's Electrical arguments again - remember those guys)

i found out of building inspector that you can do your own electrics as long as you know someone who is part p registered to certify your work.

also, im at collage studying an OND (National Diploma) in Electrical Engineering, yet i have still got to take lower courses like city & guilds 2381 and part p to touch any electrics, yet my course is supposed to show more competance and qualification, luckily im under 19 so i get further education for free (anything for free), and i got to become a member of the IEE for just £12 yearly subscribtion!! so i think im on the right track, any sparkies got any pointers for me? much appreciated

Steve said:
hmm ... slightly off topic (as not an electician myself) ... does this mean if I want to change a light fitting in the room (where the ceiling rose goes) I would have to get someone in instead of being able to do it myself now ?

or am i reading too much into this ?

Daft thing is, if you have a single 13 Amp outlet and you want to change to a double, you can't! Any work undertaken now that I do is backdated to last New Years Eve! I reckon it will be a matter of time before all electrical fittings will be available to those who hold a licence, preventing the rest from doing anything. What's next- we all have to get dynorod in to clean out the bog after a good curry the night before? I am all for good workmanship and nailing the cowboys but this is getting stoopid now.

Yes you can, as you are not creating a new ring, you are allowed to alter and add to an existing ring.

But you cannot, create a new one.

Just looked at the literature you can pick up at one of those plumbing centre places and it states otherwise Mairyhinge. Mind, never had much joy with the staff in there myself so the bumpf is probably wrong too.

As a qualified spark who is part P registered I'll give you a quote - say £500 cash - LOL
I'm lovin it.

part p is a joke , as a qualified elec , and also cable jointer (upto 132kv) im not allowed to alter my home electrics ? , i can power up large areas of cities , but i cant extend a ring? , like i say its just a joke

You can extend your ring and add extra sockets....as long as it aint a "newone" or in the kitchen or garden!!

twarts...I think fook it! proove it, then I go fooking brown and blue T&E

part p dont apply in scotland but a test cetificate should be issued for any works caried out:Cheers:

You can extend your ring and add extra sockets....as long as it aint a "newone" or in the kitchen or garden!!

twarts...I think fook it! proove it, then I go fooking brown and blue T&E

You cannot alter or extend an electrical circuit unless you have proved competent under the new part p regs.
If you can get to N. Ireland and have a week to spare a company called Mechanical Technologies Training will train and assess you for £450. This includes all manuals and BPECC certification fees.
They are excellent and cover all the testing etc.

Back