electric scooters.

Grimeire

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
What are people's thoughts on electric scooters. Many countries are trying to ban them now or bring in laws to prevent their use on public roads and foot paths. Someone died in the UK recently on one also.

In Ireland the gardai(police) are seizing them from people. It's a bit nuts in my opinion. Irish law states that anything with a motor must have tax and insurance.

I personally think anything that is green and reduces the number of cars on the road is a good thing.

I think I'd feel safer on an electric bike.

I bet some sort of tax and insurance is coming up for non-person-powered transport which isn't invalid carriage registered though. Either that or they'll be made illegal, if they already aren't. Of course, ones with proper certifications and not just CE (China Engineering) will be more expensive.

A few months ago I was overtaken in a car at over 30mph by someone on a path with an old mountain bike with a small petrol engine on it. Busy road in a residential area next to a fire/police station LOL.

Thats mad going over 30mph on a foot path. I seen an e-scooter on AliExpress earlier that could go over 65Km with a 100kg load on it. You shouldn't be allowed near a path with those speeds.

I think there does need to be some laws around them like speed restrictions on them and they have to use bicycle paths.

At the end of the day they aren't much more dangerous than bicycles in my book and a lot safer than those bloody scramblers I see kids flying around housing estates on.

I think the problem lies in is it a toy or a actual vehicle. What I mean is, how it's powered and how fast it can go.
If it's a kids battery operated one doing say 5 10mph then that's ok. Its it's a petrol engine job doing say 40-50mph then no.
Tricky one really to suss.

That's my point, if say a 10 year old is riding a little toy electric scooter that does 5 mph on the path is that right or wrong ?. For me it's about the type of scooter.
Some women around here are more dangerous on the pavements rushing to school with their prams

It's the same situation as when the mini motors came out. They could do upwards of 60 kmph, and you'd be flying around on them with no helmet on dodging in and out of people. They weren't safe at all even with a helmet on.

The scooters are a little different imho. I think you should be allowed to ride them on pavements, or specified walkways. I looked at getting myself one from aliexpress, I think it was around £300. I have to agree and say they're no less dangerous than cyclists (Who iirc are also no supposed to ride on pavements), or people on their phones walking.

My brother has an electric bike. I can't remember the make but was over a couple of grand and he's chipped it with an arduino to remove limiter and what I believe is some kind of cadence sensor, so now when he wants to, doesn't need to peddle and can just throttle it at speed.

I'd rather have something like that and use it sensibly than a bloody scooter. Just seems a bit more in control and responisve. You're still at the mercy of other vehicles on the road but at least you'd be more aware to them than expecting somebody on a scooter to shoot out.

I'd still stick to the road though than use a footpath...... we're not 10 years old ffs :)

I converted my conventional 'mountain' bike to electric a couple of years ago. Whole kit (motorised wheel, control box & throttle for £120 off the 'well-known auction site) plus a battery (£300) from another seller. It's a 1KW motor, 48V. It will happily sit at 50km/h on the flat, I can get over 60 if I pedal like the clappers, but I wouldn't dream of doing that on a footpath.
I've taken the 1000W sticker off the motor, technically up to 250W is legal here without insurance.

What are people's thoughts on electric scooters. Many countries are trying to ban them now or bring in laws to prevent their use on public roads and foot paths. Someone died in the UK recently on one also.

In Ireland the gardai(police) are seizing them from people. It's a bit nuts in my opinion. Irish law states that anything with a motor must have tax and insurance.

I personally think anything that is green and reduces the number of cars on the road is a good thing.

well I think is unfair this... in 2017 1793 people died in car accidents but nobody is talking about this ....one died on electric scooter and boommmm... the "bad" scooters should be banned...probably there is another reason why they are trying to ban them...probably because they cant tax them and they doesnt burn fuels...less fuels burned = less taxes collected from the gov. something like that is going on I think...what do you think about this subject?

i have one to get to/from the train and work. i wear a helmet always. scooter accidents are mainly from rental scooters and the major injuries are because the riders never have a helmet. 90% of scooter renters don't use a helmet. actual scooter owners have a much higher helmet wearing rate.

I have a 2000w E-Scooter which was getting a top speed of around 30 - 35 MPH , I have since tweaked it by changing the sprockets to different sizes and now it pushes over 40 MPH. I also have a fast 30 MPH E-Bike. I think they should be made legal. for cycle paths and roads.

I have a 2000w E-Scooter which was getting a top speed of around 30 - 35 MPH , I have since tweaked it by changing the sprockets to different sizes and now it pushes over 40 MPH. I also have a fast 30 MPH E-Bike. I think they should be made legal. for cycle paths and roads.

Sadly anything that reaches 30mph plus comes under the same rules as mopeds.

What model do you have? And how do you change the sprockets?

What model do you have? And how do you change the sprockets?
EvoMotion Powerboards folding electric scooter 60V 20Ah 2000W.
The rear sprocket is attached to the back wheel with 4 hex head screws.
Replace the rear 54T sprocket with a 44T sprocket and it will increase the speed by around 5 MPH.
It will also reduce the torque so it builds to a top speed rather than shooting off like a rocket ( Making it a much safer ride )
You will need to buy a small chain and cut it to size , Buy one with a master link and it will be much easier to join together the chain.

EvoMotion Powerboards folding electric scooter 60V 20Ah 2000W.
The rear sprocket is attached to the back wheel with 4 hex head screws.
Replace the rear 54T sprocket with a 44T sprocket and it will increase the speed by around 5 MPH.
It will also reduce the torque so it builds to a top speed rather than shooting off like a rocket ( Making it a much safer ride )
You will need to buy a small chain and cut it to size , Buy one with a master link and it will be much easier to join together the chain.

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

This the model you're talking about?

Its bad enough with kids on bikes without adults customizing these things to go faster on the pavements. When you add the weight of a full grown adult (That should know better) To the weight of the Scooter. You have a lethal weapon careering down the pavement Looking to crash into some poor old innocent codger like myself. Who never harmed a living soul.(Wipes a tear from my eye)

Its bad enough with kids on bikes without adults customizing these things to go faster on the pavements. When you add the weight of a full grown adult (That should know better) To the weight of the Scooter. You have a lethal weapon careering down the pavement Looking to crash into some poor old innocent codger like myself. Who never harmed a living soul.(Wipes a tear from my eye)

Behave yourself you curmudgeon. Not less dangerous than a bike on the path.

Back