Tech News Electric Cars 5 minutes charge

Still wondering how they expect the grid and infrastructure to cope with this. With Smart Infrastructure they will make people wait for their alloted charge time, so where it might take five minutes to charge, you'll be waiting an hour for your charge slot.

Great for the planet if battery disposal can be handled correctly and the electricity to charge them is environmentally sourced. But as soon as most of us are using these, government taxing on electric cars and the electric to run them as well as inflated prices from the electric companies beckon.

Possibly increasing the household usage bills along the way too.

I don't know why they aren't pushing more in the direction of Hydrogen fuel cell technology, Seems a better Idea to me.

This is the future

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Would be good for cabbage, pea and bean sales I imagine. :)

*bump*
I was reading this morning about all the pro's and cons for electric cars for when the time comes when petrol and diesel cars are faded out 2030. How do we supply this huge surge in electric usage for all these cars and will electricity prices shoot through the roof ?.

How do they determine a usage price for your car compared to your home use ?, surely they can't charge the same?.

At some point I can see electric prices going through the roof and home owners will pay far more to subsidise all these electric cars.
Also, what about lorries are they exempt ?. With less using petrol and diesel the demand will be far less both petrol and diesel so their prices can only go one way, down.

Another concern is how the government will replace all of the lost tax revenue fro petrol and diesel sales. If motorists have to pay, then it would have to be much higher road tax, road tolls, or some kind of "pay per mile" charge, if a suitable infrastructure can be set up to administer it.

ye just 10 little cars changing to electric would cost about 10k in lost fuel duty each year to the goverment

Still wondering how they expect the grid and infrastructure to cope with this. With Smart Infrastructure they will make people wait for their alloted charge time, so where it might take five minutes to charge, you'll be waiting an hour for your charge slot.
Every winter the news come on and says we may face power cuts because we are borderline on supply. Everyone plugging in their cars will tip the balance I would have thought.

The petrol stations will start to close too if electric cars become more popular. Soon, they won't be on sale anyway due to the law change. So everyone will have them.

It will be like before with diesel. The tax on electric will go up. I can see tariffs being brought in, people using more than 'X' KW per month will pay a higher rate.

Unless it gets really windy.

I wonder if electric cars of the future may carry a standard, replaceable battery pack and petrol stations will be replaced by something like drive through battery replacement centers, where you drive into something like a car wash but the machine removes the dead pack and fits a charged one and off you go? Just a thought.

That's sounds like a similar system to what happens on some electric fork trucks.

would take a huge agreement from the makes to have standard batterys

5 mins to charge ???

Still quicker to fill up with petrol / diesel.

There is no way by 2030 that the infrastructure will be in place for everyone that owns/uses an EV to be able to charge it.

I mean not all houses have driveways or garages, not all have parking outside there own homes.

Even if you can park right outside your house and run a cable from the house to the car (ball ache), how long before everyone is being sued as someone tripped over the cable ?

The whole idea is a joke and there is no way to solve the issue, short of them digging up every single road in the country and turning the roads into wireless chargers.

where i stay the house 3 doors along just got a ev the best about this is the electric company had to dig up the street and replace the main cable going to his house as its was only a 100 amp cable and the charger he got installed is 32 amp

Every winter the news come on and says we may face power cuts because we are borderline on supply. Everyone plugging in their cars will tip the balance I would have thought.

The petrol stations will start to close too if electric cars become more popular. Soon, they won't be on sale anyway due to the law change. So everyone will have them.

It will be like before with diesel. The tax on electric will go up. I can see tariffs being brought in, people using more than 'X' KW per month will pay a higher rate.

Unless it gets really windy.

I work in energy management :). In research and development.

The charge currents are very high.

Next, is controlled charging. Where "clever devices" plan their charging period.

Solar power will have to become super super efficient, another Elon Musk super move no doubt he'll have something in the pipeline

The limit for now, the speed technology's moving say from only 10-15 years ago its scary.
If there's money in it

Back